ViewSonic VP3268-4K 32" 16:9 4K HDR IPS Monitor

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've come to realize that for me, there would be more value in a SECOND monitor, rather than a bigger monitor.

$400 on Amazon for the monitor is a great price.
I paid that for my current 24 inch, 15 years ago.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the responses. A second monitor would be really crowded that's why I'm thinking a little bigger. And I could mount my current HPZR2440w on the wall for menus, etc.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks for the responses. A second monitor would be really crowded that's why I'm thinking a little bigger. And I could mount my current HPZR2440w on the wall for menus, etc.
I too have that problem. I have to do some major desk clearing and rearranging of stuff on my desk, to have space for a 2nd monitor.
BUT, there have been MANY time where I wish I had a 2nd monitor, when I have to flip between windows, because I don't have space to see both windows at the same time.

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
I have the VP2768 and can attest to the quality of the series. ViewSonic's factory calibration of color and grayscale is very good. The IPS panel has very little to no clouding. Some light bleed at the bottom, which was fixed by simply wedging bits of paper into the back of the thin and narrow bezel, completely out of sight. (I had to do the same with my previous IPS monitor from Asus. It's silly, but easy and it works.) I got mine for sRGB, not Adobe RGB - though it does cover a good amount of the Adobe RGB color space. It's not HDR like the one you're looking at. Mine's an 8-bit panel - and that's fine for me because I didn't need to calibrate it except to brighten blacks slightly to get gamma right. (Meaning no problems with banding in gradients/ramps.)

The ViewSonic VP3268 doesn't have a 10-bit or 12-bit panel; it's 8-bit + A-FRC dithering, according to specs I've seen. That might be perfectly fine for you. Or not. If you really want to work with 30-bit color (10-bit x 3) to maximize use of a color space greater than sRGB, you need the hardware, drivers, and software that can make use of it - and a different monitor. Hope that helps a bit.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
One thing to check for that recently got me is whether your system's graphic cards (and kvm if you use it) can handle the larger monitor.

I'm a programmer that is now a work at home programmer. After working at home for a bit, I set up a dual screen setup with two 1920 x 1080 monitors on my two systems (a Lenovo laptop that is my work system and a desktop machine I got a few years ago). Now, I run Linux on both systems, not windows. I even got a KVM (keyboard, video, mouse switching system) that could handle 2 computers, each with 2 monitors.

Before this, I had been using a single 1920 x 1080 screen in the office and a separate 1920 x 1080 screen with the home machine. But once I had set up the larger screen real estate I really like it.

However, due to the cramped space I have available for the computer setup, I was starting to get neck aches from the two monitors. So I figured, replace the two monitors with a single 4K monitor (3840 x 2160). It turns out neither system supported a 4K monitor. Fortunately, I bought it at MicroCenter which has a generous return policy. I "downgraded" to an Acer Nitro XV340CK 34' QHD (3440 x 1440), which was about $100 more than the 4K monitor I had originally bought.

My work machine can handle this at full resolution, but at only 30Hz refresh rate, not 60Hz. For my purposes, it is great. I can have the web browser(s) on the right side of the machine, and the work stuff on the left side, though at any time, I can of course change any of the windows. I really liked having the single screen since the split down the middle for the two monitors was annoying.

Unfortunately, the home system was too old to support a single monitor that large (it could do two 1920 x 1080 on hdmi/dvi outputs, just not a larger combined monitor). The best it could do was support 2048 x 1152. I upgraded the graphics card to a 2GB Radeon 7450, which has a similar limit. I just won an ebay auction on a Radeon 560 4GB card that hopefully support the larger monitor. Since I'm paying for these upgrades out of my own pocket, I suffered from sticker shock what the current graphics cards go for. Note, since I use Linux, Radeon is preferred over Nvidia, which severely limits my choices.

The KVM setup is problematical. The KVM I had before had some issues, but I'm hoping to be able to use it once again when I upgrade the home system's graphics cards. I did find a relatively cheap KVM that claimed it could handle 4K monitors at 60Hz, but it lied when it said it supported EDID (so that when I switch computers, the first computer doesn't see the monitor go away), and the laptop suspended itself when I switched computers).

So, at the moment, I am doing a home brew KVM. I have work laptop plugged into one HDMI port and the monitor, and the home desktop plugged into the other HDMI port. I have a USB switcher for the mouse and keyboard. So to switch computers, I first have to tell the monitor to switch inputs, and then I have to switch the keyboard/mouse. IMHO, Acer really fails in the usability area in terms of its menu to switch defaults (having buttons on the back but the display in the front is frustrating).

When I switch inputs, I have to reset the scaling to be either 1:1 or scale for aspect ratio for the home system. The default of scaling to the whole screen is just not usable to edit pictures.

One thing I did try is the Acer monitor has a PBP system, where you connect two inputs, where one input is the left side, and the other the right. On the side that used HDMI on either computer, I could choose 1720 x 1440 (i.e. 1/2 of the screen). However, with the display port screens, I was not able to choose the same size.

So bottom line, you may need to check if your graphics card can handle the larger monitor. If possible, but at a local store that you can see the monitor ahead of time, and it has a generous return policy. While it is tempting to buy online and save, if you need to be able to return a monitor for another, it helps to do it locally. Paying the higher prices of brick & mortar stores is worth it if you need to return the gear.

Use a tape measure to measure how much space a monitor can take up, and measure the monitor in the store. The 34" monitor I got is just at the end of acceptable space.

I personally do not do "showrooming", i.e. looking at gear at a local store, but buying it elsewhere to save money. I figure the store gave me the extra value of being able to see it in person. If a salesperson helped me, I make sure that they get the commission from the sale, even if I leave the store and come back later.

If I am buying something on price, I don't even go into the local brick and mortar store to look at the item. I go straight to the internet. For example, I rarely buy cables or name brand SD cards at the local store. The markup is too high. But for things that I need to judge whether to get or not, or discovering new things I want, but I didn't know I needed, the store is valuable.

And this applies to camera stores as well as computer stores. But I am blessed having one of the top Olympus and Panasonic stores in my area (Hunts in Melrose, MA). I know a lot of people don't have that option.

Even if the graphics card supports it, you might find the cables need to be upgraded as well. I suspect when the new graphics card comes in, I may need to upgrade my HDMI cables to HDMI 2.0. I have quite a few cables bought over the years, and I have no idea what HDMI level each cable supports. Lets see, from the HDMI wiki page:
  • HDMI 1.0 can support 1920 × 1080 or 1920 × 1200 at 60 Hz;
  • HDMI 1.1 looks like it had no changes to resolution, just support for DVD-Audio;
  • HDMI 1.2 looks like it had minor changes to resolution (720p at 100 and 120 Hz);
  • HDMI 1.3 can support 1920 × 1080 at 120 Hz or 2560 × 1440 at 60 Hz;
  • HDMI 1.4 can support 4096 × 2160 at 24 Hz, 3840 × 2160 at 24, 25, and 30 Hz, and 1920 × 1080 at 120 Hz.
  • HDMI 2.0 can support 4K video at 60 Hz with 24 bit/px color depth; (and)
  • HDMI 2.1 can support 4K 120 Hz and 8K 120 Hz.
  • Note, you need a graphics card that can support higher HDMI levels, cables that are specified to be at that level, and of course a display that can handle it before you can go to the higher levels.

Last edited:

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
; it's 8-bit + A-FRC dithering,
Correct. The BenQ is 10-bit and cheaper....

So bottom line, you may need to check if your graphics card can handle the larger monitor.
Yep. Am looking at a GTX1650. My old MB just died and I replaced it with a 570 chipset board from ASUS. Everything plugged right in but my old video card while it still works with this monitor is getting over the hill. Seemed like a good time to start shopping around.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As a followup to my previous post, the AMD Radeon RX 560 arrived, and I installed it on the home system. It can easily do 3440 x 1440 at 100Hz refresh rate (the work laptop can only do a 30Hz refresh rate).

While I may eventually try to sort out the KVM situation, for now, plugging the work and home systems into separate HDMI ports on the monitor, and manually switching screens and mouse/keyboard works well enough.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
If I had 2 computers that I needed to connect to 2 monitors, I would try to run one of the computers as a remote desktop!
Then you don't have any switching issues.
You should even be able to use both monitors on both computers as remote desktop.

(NX NoMachine might be something to look into!)

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If I had 2 computers that I needed to connect to 2 monitors, I would try to run one of the computers as a remote desktop!
Then you don't have any switching issues.
You should even be able to use both monitors on both computers as remote desktop.

(NX NoMachine might be something to look into!)
In the past I did this, using remote X windows (the Linux equivalent of remote desktop). But the security rules for the work system prevents doing remote X windows. And the last I checked, sound also didn't come through.

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
I have been using two monitors for years. My current setup is a iMac 21.5" and somewhat matching 21.5" Benq that I have wall mounted so I can swing it to the angle I need at the time.

Neither of these screens are 4K and that doesn't bother me for my uses. I think sometime people place too much emphasis on the need for 4K resolution.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I have been using two monitors for years. My current setup is a iMac 21.5" and somewhat matching 21.5" Benq that I have wall mounted so I can swing it to the angle I need at the time.

Neither of these screens are 4K and that doesn't bother me for my uses. I think sometime people place too much emphasis on the need for 4K resolution.
And sometimes people has to have 4k resolution to be able to see the 4k videos they take at full resolution!
Sure I look at my raw pictures (16Mb or 20 Mb) on my 23" full HD screen and don't feel limited by it, but do I want a bigger, higher resolution monitor? Of course!
YMMV!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom