1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Views on these Voigtlander lenses please...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by brutto, Apr 20, 2011.

1. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    I've got a chance to buy this useful suite of lenses:

Ultron 28mm f/2 (Leica M)
    Nokton 50mm f/1.5 (Leica screw)
    Color Heliar 75mm f/2.5 (Leica screw)

All recent lenses in mint condition. Does anyone have personal experience of these lenses?

I'd sell my mint Contax Carl Zeiss 50mm Planar f1.4 T* to help pay for them. I'll miss it but it is a big heavy lens with a long adaptor. The adaptor I have for Leica lenses is much shorter and neater. Will I be making a big mistake selling the Zeiss?

2. shrimp123

shrimp123 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    when it comes to nokton(esp pancakes) with floating elements, watch for focus shift when the subject is close (focus point changes with aperture --- wont hurt RF/film, but in slr, if you focus at big aperture and slow down, there is an issue).

28/2 no clue
    35/1.4mc tried 3 copeis, all were nice, but had focus shift
    50/1.1 glorious, but lil heavy
    50/1.5 excellent for the money, but was replaced by 1.1, solely for the flexibility of low light i wanted to try.
    70/2.5 tried one copy, was nice and sharp, but had focus shift

if you get a chance to try it before u buy/can return it... you cant go wrong.

regd long+heavy CZ, i am selling my 85 for the same reason. If you are ok with 1.4, also look at rokkors and canon-FD(SSC)

S

3. travisennis

travisennis Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2010
    Indiana
    I own both the Ultron 28 and CZ Contax 50mm 1.4 and I'm happy with both of them. Personally, I wouldn't get rid of the Zeiss. It's an excellent lens and I love the way it renders on these cameras. Of course the Zeiss is a larger lens, especially with the adapter, but in all honesty it's not that much bigger than the Ultron. The C/Y adapter I have doesn't weigh much more than the Panasonic LM adapter that I use and the lens itself is only about 2 oz heavier. To be honest, because of the way the weight is distributed the Zeiss feels lighter than the Ultron on the camera even though it isn't. I've never used the Nokton or the Heliar that you are looking at, but I've seen fantastic images taken with both. For me, the Nokton doesn't give me anything that I don't already have with the Zeiss and I lose the close focusing ability because the Nokton is a rangefinder lens. So, if it was me I would get the Ultron and pair it with the Zeiss and if I needed the longer reach of the Heliar then I would get it as well.

Also, focus shift is not a huge concern when you can focus with live-view. The Ultron can have focus-shift issues, but I've honestly never had a problem with it since I'm aware of it and use the lens accordingly.

4. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    That's a very good point. I didn't realise that. One thing I've enjoyed with the Contax is the relatively short minimum focus distance.

Also, I can use the Contax on my SLR bodies. I'd lose that with the Nokton.

Thanks for your input, very helpful.

5. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    I thought long and hard about your 85 before I came across the Voigtlanders. It is tempting because I could also use it on my 5d2. Unfortunately the thought that I would have to pay 20% VAT plus duty plus import paperwork fees when it arrived here put me off. It does look to be a lovely lens though.

Thank you for the input.

6. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Aaargh, my brain hurts! I've looked at a gazillion images now (I love flickr) and it always seems that the Zeiss equivalent knocks spots off the Voigtlander. I think I am going to pass on these lenses and stick with Zeiss but change gradually to M-mount versions (for size and balance). Also I've come to hanker after the Sonnar 50mm rather than the Planar 50 which I have now. May be just that the grass is always greener (and I'm a terrible gear whore) but to my eyes the Sonnar is a dream lens.