Viewing Images on Sony Xperia Devices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrisyap, Oct 15, 2014.

1. chrisyap

chrisyap Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 14, 2014
    Singapore
    Just wanted to share something I found out today.

When I am on the go, I have a habit of transferring photos from my EM-5 to my Xperia Z1 for instant sharing. For quite a while, I have notice that the photos viewed with the Xperia's default photo app seems to be a bit over-saturated. This made me try to tone down the temperature on the VSCO cam app. However, after toning down the temperature and uploading it to Instagram (note that all these are done on the fly), the images turn out to be to cool hence I will adjust the temperature again in Instagram.

After doing some fiddling in the display settings, I found something called the X-Reality for Mobile. Did some research on Google and apparently it is some software code that bumps up the saturation of photos and videos to make them "more realistic". I did a simple comparison by using the Android task manager to see the difference viewing the same picture on the default Sony "Album" app and the Google "Photos" app. Apparently the X-Reality only takes effect when viewing photos in the Sony "Album" app.

14922669023_bf6dd303b9.

As you can see from the Ramen photo, the difference is subtle but noticeable. My experience is that the effects are more profound for photos taken indoor under incandescent lightning.

So the next time when you are wondering why your colour temperature of your photos looks a bit different in mobile devices, it might be because your mobile devices are up to some tricks :)

• Like Like x 1