Viewfinderer or Live-Viewerer???

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JStheoriginal, Apr 14, 2013.

1. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    I'd say about 80% of the time I use the viewfinder vs the live-view screen. I think the reason is because it helps compose the shot when your eye is at the same spot as the camera, no? Otherwise, what is it?

What do you use more often?
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Viewfinder. Because it makes me look Pro. :cool:

Seriously though, about 80% viewfinder because I shoot a lot of manual lenses. But I'm just used to the position, it's comfortable and natural to me. When I use the flip screen it's usually for a low angle shot.
  3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    I use the viewfinder most of the time. The exception is if I'm using a tripod or going for a low- or high-angle shot. Then I use the screen.
  4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Live viewerer

I like a built in vf like on my em5. But if I'm wearing glasses I can't tolerate them. Lol
  5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    I can't see w/o my glasses, so I have to wear 'em....

Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Viewfinder with ambient light, rear screen with studio lights. Both are Live-View, btw...
  7. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    Screen most of the time now. I always preferred a viewfinder before, but with a 9 month old son, the screen on my G3 lets me get better angles easily, and not having my face hidden as much allows me to interact with him more. That's actually a big part of why I switched from Nikon.
  8. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Viewfinder almost all the time. The only exception is when I'm doing an low or high angle shot. (And, for the low shot, I'm more likely to get down on the ground than use the screen.)

I chose the G3 as my first ยต43 because it had the VF.
  9. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I loved using the view finder on my Canon T2i, and tried using it on the OM-D. I can't get used to the EVF, so I use the rear screen.
  10. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    Viewfinder or I have to have my reading glasses.:hissy: Plus the viewfinder allows you to steady your shot more. Elbows in braced against your body.
  11. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I try not to use the viewfinder. Maybe I'm trying hard to get away from the way I typically shoot with my DSLR's. It is refreshing to use the screen... sounds weird, huh? With :43: bodies, most don't pay attention to me since I don't have it up to eye level. When I picked up my E-P3 on a fantastic deal, it came with the VF-2. The viewfinder hasn't made it out much in exception of shots of stills or creative where I have time.

I imagine if I have the E-PL5... I would almost always have it at waist level just touching the flipped up screen :biggrin:
  12. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    The LCD mostly. For my landscapes usually tripod mounted and rarely is eye level the best for composition. So the LCD works much better in that case. For my daughter she is much more likely to smile if she can see my face, so again the LCD. And often low shooting position with her, so again LCD better.

The rare times I'm out walking with my camera and want to take a quick shot without a tripod I do use the EVF, especially for anything normal to telephoto length.

What I fell in love with early on in m43 was the excellent live view on both a rotating LCD and a high quality EVF. I came from OVF SLRs so I expected to not like the EVF much, the LCD less and thought the rotating LCDs were a gimmick. How wrong I was, I'd never go back to an OVF with a slow live view tacked on as an afterthought.
  13. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    I thought I'd never use the OLED live view considering I've been using viewfinder on dslr's for years. But I use the live view almost always.
  14. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I meant vs contacts for me
    I'm blind too! Lol
  15. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I'm way to pretty to cover my face with a camera:sorry::cool:
  16. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I use the LCD on my G3 if I'm shooting under controlled lighting for my wife's Ebay or Etsy shops. On my EPl2 I use mostly legacy glass so I find myself using the VF-3 (which I love) for focus and to help steady the camera. I do really love the LCD screens under controlled lighting though.