Viewfinder quality G1 vs PEN's VF-2

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by sheygetz, Aug 16, 2010.

1. sheygetz

sheygetz Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    I know the G1 vf from shooting it for 3 weeks last year. I wasn't all that taken with it. I would like to know from those of you who've shot both the Pana and either the EP2 or EPL1 with their viewfinder, if there's much of a difference between the two. Any hands-on experience is much appreciated.

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The VF2 for the EP2 is as good as it gets.
    Your talking about 2 very different form factors in the cameras. 1st decide what form you need/want and then the VF will show the way.
    The G2 has a very decent finder. It's built into the camera and thus makes a smaller footprint. The VF2 is a add on finder that attempts to change the form of the EP2.

Finder against finder, The Oly is the winner for brightness/contrast. Form wise, the G1/2 wins.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I own a G1 and an E-P2 and found the add-on EVF a bit of a pain although quality is as good or better. As Don says it is more about form-factor and my big mitts prefer the G series (I'm selling the E-P2 and G1 for a GH1 so that's my vote).
  4. sheygetz

sheygetz Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    I'm interested only in the quality of the vf. As I said I had the G1, took it to Angkor for three weeks, and returned it. One reason, though not the primary one was the vf. This CCTV look in twilight/ dusk shooting just didn't do.

I am wondering whether the Oly version, though obviously still an EVF, is any better or different.

(As to form, I do not see how a Gx is sufficiently different from a Rebel - with kit zooms and 50/1.8 - to make up for the reduced IQ. But that is of no concern here, just because you two mentioned form.)

5. shinobi

shinobi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2010
    VF-2 is the same, but I would call the "CCTV look" as "night vision" :). When I can't see much with my DSLRs' VF, or even AF, in dim light, the E-PL1/VF-2 can come to the rescue.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. naturecloseups

naturecloseups Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    I received the Olympus VF-2 EVF this evening.

The first thought that came to my mind when I looked through it was "damn, it feels like I'm watching an IMAX theater through a peephole". It's that good!!

The best part is this is going to speed up my shooting because I'm sure I won't have to magnify most of the time to find precise focus. I can focus fine without magnification even in poor light, and when magnified it is equivalent to looking at an image at 100% on my laptop screen -- useful only when doing ultra-high magnifications.

I have tried the EVF of my friend's G1 but I do not have access to it now. But from what I recall, the VF-2 is as good if not better. In particular, the G1 EVF looked kind of desaturated in less than optimal lighting. I see no such problems with the VF-2.

The only thing you have to get used to is the jerky view when you move the camera quickly but it is by no means a limiting "feature".

Also -- I have been using SLRs for more than 20 years so I am no stranger to OVFs.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Hi Naturecloseups
    When you say you don't need to use magnification, you're saying, when you're using legacy lenses? Do you believe with old glass can I focus without magnifying the evf image?

8. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Just sold the G1 and bought the E-PL1 with VF-2. Besides the kit lenses I use some MF glass. Manual focussing on the G1 was a breeze. The EVF
    does the job, and accessing magnification was easy also...................

And then I looked through the VF-2 :smile: Oh boy, what a difference.
    HD plasma screen comes to mind. No magnification needed. The subject just pops in focus. In fact.....comparing it to the tunnel vision
    aps-c optical viewfinders from Dslr's I know what I would prefer.:wink:
    The VF-2 is that good, believe me.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Couldn't agree with you all who are singing the praises of the Olympus EVF more! As a mater of fact, I think I have been spoiled by it. I recently tried out the GF1's version on my new Panasonic LX5 and immediately returned it - the viewfinder, that is.

Seller's remorse big time for lack of a camera with a viewfinder like Olympus's.