1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Viewfinder quality G1 vs PEN's VF-2

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by sheygetz, Aug 16, 2010.

1. sheygetz

sheygetz Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    I know the G1 vf from shooting it for 3 weeks last year. I wasn't all that taken with it. I would like to know from those of you who've shot both the Pana and either the EP2 or EPL1 with their viewfinder, if there's much of a difference between the two. Any hands-on experience is much appreciated.

Hendrik

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The VF2 for the EP2 is as good as it gets.
    Your talking about 2 very different form factors in the cameras. 1st decide what form you need/want and then the VF will show the way.
    The G2 has a very decent finder. It's built into the camera and thus makes a smaller footprint. The VF2 is a add on finder that attempts to change the form of the EP2.

Finder against finder, The Oly is the winner for brightness/contrast. Form wise, the G1/2 wins.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I own a G1 and an E-P2 and found the add-on EVF a bit of a pain although quality is as good or better. As Don says it is more about form-factor and my big mitts prefer the G series (I'm selling the E-P2 and G1 for a GH1 so that's my vote).

4. sheygetz

sheygetz Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    I'm interested only in the quality of the vf. As I said I had the G1, took it to Angkor for three weeks, and returned it. One reason, though not the primary one was the vf. This CCTV look in twilight/ dusk shooting just didn't do.

I am wondering whether the Oly version, though obviously still an EVF, is any better or different.

(As to form, I do not see how a Gx is sufficiently different from a Rebel - with kit zooms and 50/1.8 - to make up for the reduced IQ. But that is of no concern here, just because you two mentioned form.)

Hendrik

5. shinobi

shinobi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2010
    VF-2 is the same, but I would call the "CCTV look" as "night vision" :). When I can't see much with my DSLRs' VF, or even AF, in dim light, the E-PL1/VF-2 can come to the rescue.

• Like Like x 1
  6. naturecloseups

naturecloseups Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    I received the Olympus VF-2 EVF this evening.

The first thought that came to my mind when I looked through it was "damn, it feels like I'm watching an IMAX theater through a peephole". It's that good!!

The best part is this is going to speed up my shooting because I'm sure I won't have to magnify most of the time to find precise focus. I can focus fine without magnification even in poor light, and when magnified it is equivalent to looking at an image at 100% on my laptop screen -- useful only when doing ultra-high magnifications.

I have tried the EVF of my friend's G1 but I do not have access to it now. But from what I recall, the VF-2 is as good if not better. In particular, the G1 EVF looked kind of desaturated in less than optimal lighting. I see no such problems with the VF-2.

The only thing you have to get used to is the jerky view when you move the camera quickly but it is by no means a limiting "feature".

Also -- I have been using SLRs for more than 20 years so I am no stranger to OVFs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Hi Naturecloseups
    When you say you don't need to use magnification, you're saying, when you're using legacy lenses? Do you believe with old glass can I focus without magnifying the evf image?
    Thanks.

Sidinei

8. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Just sold the G1 and bought the E-PL1 with VF-2. Besides the kit lenses I use some MF glass. Manual focussing on the G1 was a breeze. The EVF
    does the job, and accessing magnification was easy also...................

And then I looked through the VF-2 :smile: Oh boy, what a difference.
    HD plasma screen comes to mind. No magnification needed. The subject just pops in focus. In fact.....comparing it to the tunnel vision
    aps-c optical viewfinders from Dslr's I know what I would prefer.:wink:
    The VF-2 is that good, believe me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Couldn't agree with you all who are singing the praises of the Olympus EVF more! As a mater of fact, I think I have been spoiled by it. I recently tried out the GF1's version on my new Panasonic LX5 and immediately returned it - the viewfinder, that is.

Seller's remorse big time for lack of a camera with a viewfinder like Olympus's.