1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Viewfinder Problems with my Pen-F

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Prahasaurus, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Prahasaurus

Prahasaurus Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a similar problem as I with the Pen-F....

Occasionally, when using the viewfinder, the picture goes completely blank (dark)! This seems to only happen in certain modes. If I point the camera at the sky (or to some different area, usually upwards), the picture comes back. It happens with multiple lenses. I'm using only Olympus lenses, by the way...

I don't think it happens in Mono mode, but it's a regular occurrence in many other modes. It's extremely frustrating!

I was hoping it was just something a firmware update could solve. But that brings me to my next issue, I can't use the Olympus updater on my Mac. It seems I will need to borrow a Windows machine from someone.

Thoughts?

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    You need to keep your eye closer to the viewfinder.

You can download the updated updater software for the Mac.

3. Prahasaurus

Prahasaurus Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    Prague, Czech Republic
    You think I'm moving my eye from the viewfinder? I doubt it, but I'll check that...

The updated updater for Mac does not work for me. I have El Capitan (10.11). The software cannot even recognize that I have a camera attached through the USB.

4. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The update - did you remember to look at the back of the camera after you plugged it in, and select the option. If you don't do that the computer can't see the camera.

5. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    I find the eye sensor problematic in any sort of backlighting situation (by which i mean the sunlight coming from over my shoulder onto the vf shroud). I think the sensor gets washed out and it defaults to rear screen.

Ive turned off the sensor for outdoor use.

6. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Though how does that work when shooting out in the dark? Seems like the proximity sensor works on more than just the light recording. (though night on the street can still seem brighter to a sensor than a face covering it completely)