viewfinder or another camera?

pastzag

New to Mu-43
If I can find vf4, will I be able to use it with my epl-5? I read that I need to change the firmware. Is there such support?
Can anyone tell me which EVF could work better with my camera? (Dude with VF3 or VF2, be ready?)
Thank You ...

Real Name
Walter
If I can find vf4, will I be able to use it with my epl-5? I read that I need to change the firmware. Is there such support?
Can anyone tell me which EVF could work better with my camera? (Dude with VF3 or VF2, be ready?)
Thank You ...

I'd recommend the VF-4 if you can find it reasonably. You have to make sure the PL5 has up to date firmware. Download and install Olympus Workspace. It has an updater feature in it you can use to update the camera. You'll need the USB - Olympus cable which came with the camera. Instructions can be found online.

https://learnandsupport.getolympus.com/support/e-pl5#section-download-software

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thank You ...
The VF4 works great on the E-PL5 except for the eye sensor, as said earlier - you always have to press the button on the VF-4 to swap between the LCD/EVF live view.

Last edited:

Top362nd

Mu-43 Rookie
Yes, the GX cameras have a third type of viewfinder (field sequential). In addition to be too small to use (IMHO), a certain segment of the population sees a rainbow effect if they move the camera quickly, move their head, or the subject moves. I tried to replicate this in the store, but I am evidently part of the majority of the population that doesn't see the rainbow effect (so, I might be wrong on exactly what it does).

According to FAQ from crystalfontz.com the differences between TFT LCD and OLED are:
  • TFT displays are also known as an “Active Matrix TFT LCD module” and have an array of thin film transistors fabricated on the glass that makes the LCD. There is one of these transistors for each pixel on the LCD. Most TFTs use white LEDs to backlight the display.
  • OLED displays are an emissive display technology. Each dot that is illuminated on the display is creating a small, bright area of glowing phosphor. No backlight is needed, as the OLED elements do direct illumination.
IIRC, field sequential displays relies on our eyes persistence of vision, and has a single light source that rapidly displays each color, relying on the eye to merge these together. Presumably some peoples eyes can record the differences faster than others and it can create the rainbow effect.
I don't see the rainbow effect in my GX9. But
Yes, the GX cameras have a third type of viewfinder (field sequential). In addition to be too small to use (IMHO), a certain segment of the population sees a rainbow effect if they move the camera quickly, move their head, or the subject moves. I tried to replicate this in the store, but I am evidently part of the majority of the population that doesn't see the rainbow effect (so, I might be wrong on exactly what it does).

According to FAQ from crystalfontz.com the differences between TFT LCD and OLED are:
  • TFT displays are also known as an “Active Matrix TFT LCD module” and have an array of thin film transistors fabricated on the glass that makes the LCD. There is one of these transistors for each pixel on the LCD. Most TFTs use white LEDs to backlight the display.
  • OLED displays are an emissive display technology. Each dot that is illuminated on the display is creating a small, bright area of glowing phosphor. No backlight is needed, as the OLED elements do direct illumination.
IIRC, field sequential displays relies on our eyes persistence of vision, and has a single light source that rapidly displays each color, relying on the eye to merge these together. Presumably some peoples eyes can record the differences faster than others and it can create the rainbow effect.
I don't dislike the GX9 viewfinder because of the rainbow effect, because I don't see it either. But it is small, not sharp, and just plain not great. The EM-10 II I had before was better, and the VF-4 is much better. The GX9 is a great camera, but I use the viewfinder only when I'm desperate.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't see the rainbow effect in my GX9.

I don't dislike the GX9 viewfinder because of the rainbow effect, because I don't see it either. But it is small, not sharp, and just plain not great. The EM-10 II I had before was better, and the VF-4 is much better. The GX9 is a great camera, but I use the viewfinder only when I'm desperate.
On the odd chance you didn't try to adjust it, there is a diopter on the GX9 that in theory can adjust the screen for your eyes (page 45 of the English GX9 manual). The diopter is one of those things I set initially, and then forget about. If I were continually going between shooting with my glasses on or off, I would need to adjust it more often. I don't know if adjusting the diopter would help, but it might.

Not everybody sees the rainbow effect (I don't), but those that do see it are vocal about it. Each of our eyes see things somewhat differently than the others. I've read posts from other migraine sufferers who were bothered by the slower OLED refresh rate and were happier when they ditched the E-m10 mark II and upgraded to the E-m5 mark II (E-m10 mark II has an OLED screen, E-m5 mark II has a TFT LCD screen), while as I've said, for me, I prefer not to use a TFT LCD viewfinder because of the polarization effect.

Since I wear glasses all of the time (and polarized sunglasses when I out in daylight), I find the GX/LX viewfinders to be too tiny to use. But the small rangefinder viewfinder does make for a much smaller camera, and that can be important.

Top362nd

Mu-43 Rookie
On the odd chance you didn't try to adjust it, there is a diopter on the GX9 that in theory can adjust the screen for your eyes (page 45 of the English GX9 manual). The diopter is one of those things I set initially, and then forget about. If I were continually going between shooting with my glasses on or off, I would need to adjust it more often. I don't know if adjusting the diopter would help, but it might.

Not everybody sees the rainbow effect (I don't), but those that do see it are vocal about it. Each of our eyes see things somewhat differently than the others. I've read posts from other migraine sufferers who were bothered by the slower OLED refresh rate and were happier when they ditched the E-m10 mark II and upgraded to the E-m5 mark II (E-m10 mark II has an OLED screen, E-m5 mark II has a TFT LCD screen), while as I've said, for me, I prefer not to use a TFT LCD viewfinder because of the polarization effect.

Since I wear glasses all of the time (and polarized sunglasses when I out in daylight), I find the GX/LX viewfinders to be too tiny to use. But the small rangefinder viewfinder does make for a much smaller camera, and that can be important.
Thanks, but I adjust it. And have tried with and without the optional eyecup. (I wear glasses also.) After all is said and done, I still feel as I do about the GX9.

Top362nd

Mu-43 Rookie
Sure I can understand not liking the viewfinder (I don't either), but it was more a just in case you hadn't already tried it.
Not sure I follow your sentence. Don't misunderstand, I still like and use my GX9. I agonized over the decision between it and the Pen-F, and it was the L-Monochome D that won me over (big fan of that, that will probably spawn a whole discussion of why I'm wrong on that). But they could have and should have done better on the viewfinder.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not sure I follow your sentence. Don't misunderstand, I still like and use my GX9. I agonized over the decision between it and the Pen-F, and it was the L-Monochome D that won me over (big fan of that, that will probably spawn a whole discussion of why I'm wrong on that). But they could have and should have done better on the viewfinder.
Not everybody reads the manual or understands what the diopter is for. You evidently do understand. I posted just in case you had not tried to adjust the diopter, and perhaps the diopter was just at a position that would causes things to appear out of focus.

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
it does happen so often, people not making the basic adjustments and then blame the products - however, @Top362nd is way away from that crowd - we have discussed a bit and he knows more than well most stuff

Jmcarp

New to Mu-43
I have a PL-7 that I use as a backup to my M5ii and as a compact travel camera for those times when I don't expect to be doing a lot of serious photography. However, I was missing the viewfinder so I picked up a used VF-2. The flexibility of having both options is great -- I usually just carry the VF-2 in my pocket and pop it on the PL-7 body in bright sunlight or when I feel the need for an EVF. The PL-7 and pancake lens plus the automatic lens cover is, IMO, a perfect travel solution. The IQ is the same as the OMD body -- it only lacks the convenience of a few dedicated function buttons.

onewheeltom

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tom Karches
I’m in the same situation...I have an E-P5 and really like the form factor....when i can pick up a used E-M10mkii for not much more than a viewfinder, it’s hard to justify getting the viewfinder. How different are the controls between the E-P5 and the E-M10?

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
I found an EX em10 mk.1 for $140us, good enough for me. The original 10 has the Live features my Lumix bodies lack, which was my main goal.

Latest threads

Top Bottom