Viewfinder E-VF2 on E-PL1 - Essential Option

oz3d

Mu-43 Rookie
How on earth did Olympus get away with not making one of these as part of the original kit or an inexpensive option on the camera?

I got mine today in Melbourne Australia, just 5 days after ordering from B&H in New York and I don't know how I operated the camera without it.

Essential option for anyone with glasses :cool: - and probably just for everyone having regard to the LCD limitations.

Only thing is, it is impossible to get in Melbourne and far too expensive in any event. :rolleyes:

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Yeah, in certain conditions its pretty much a must-have. Its expensive, but its also the only game in town and a lot of us are obviously willing to pay the price. I use mine in bright sunlight but leave it off the camera most of the time. I've gotten very comfortable composing and controlling the camera from the LCD as long as I can see it well, which is most of the time.

-Ray

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Couldn't agree with you more about the need for it, if one wears glasses...in my case "progressive lenses". The E-P2's screen is bigger, but even when I had that I almost always used the EVF. It is a super electronic viewfinder, that's for sure.

I'm glad you're happy with yours.:thumbup:

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Pany and Oly m43 seem not well catered for here in Melbourne (even Michaels store hardly advertises them, most push is for low end DSLR's

3 of my m43 cameras came thru' Ebay merchants.

The EVF should be a bundle option with the PL1, as a separate Item its way overpriced

How on earth did Olympus get away with not making one of these as part of the original kit or an inexpensive option on the camera?

I got mine today in Melbourne Australia, just 5 days after ordering from B&H in New York and I don't know how I operated the camera without it.

Essential option for anyone with glasses :cool: - and probably just for everyone having regard to the LCD limitations.

Only thing is, it is impossible to get in Melbourne and far too expensive in any event. :rolleyes:

dcisive

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I would certainly agree. I'm a died in the wool DSLR user and frankly without the option of a viewfinder the camera would be seriously hamstrung in bright lit days of for serious composition and macro work. It's just a good thing they made it such high performance otherwise it would have ended up like the GF-1's disaster.:tongue:

mspeicher

New to Mu-43
It's just a good thing they made it such high performance otherwise it would have ended up like the GF-1's disaster.:tongue:

I agree. Would rather something a bit more expensive that has the specs I need than something that seems to need an upgrade even though its only been out for a little while.

Just got my VF-2 in the mail and am loving it.

Janis

Mu-43 Regular
I wish I could find a black one in stock at a store I trust! I'm checking B&H, Adorama, and Amazon every day since they all list it at 249.00 but out of stock. It's been out of stock a long time. I don't want to pay more so I'm trying to hold out. I agree that it should be included with the camera. I want it not only for the obvious viewing reasons but because I could get by with a slower shutter speed by not holding the camera at arms length.

jbart

Mu-43 Regular
Adding my desire for the EVF too!
Im almost tempted to buy a G1 just so I have an evf for manual focus. I like the ep2 but wanted the flash of the epl1 and didnt think i would need a viewfinder.

Cant seem to find the EVF for sale anywhere... :frown:

edb

Mu-43 Regular
Only problem with including it with the E-PL1 would be the increase in price.

Many people who buy the E-PL1 are buying the best camera they can afford and an increase in price might cause them to look for a different type camera.

It would be nice if Olympus could put togeather two E-PL1 kits. One without the viewfinder and one at an increased price with the viewfinder.

I have an E-P2 with the viewfinder and agree that it's a great addition.

Janis

Mu-43 Regular
I've told B&H and the others to email me when they're in stock, but don't know how far down I am on the list, so I keep compulsively checking! Edb has a good idea about the need for different kit options. When I got it I thought I could do without the viewfinder but I really need it.

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
I've told B&H and the others to email me when they're in stock, but don't know how far down I am on the list, so I keep compulsively checking! Edb has a good idea about the need for different kit options. When I got it I thought I could do without the viewfinder but I really need it.

I believe they would send an email to everyone who signed up - you can't pre-order from them, so it would just be first come first serve. I signed up about a month ago and haven't received an email - found one since on ebay for a reasonable price (an e-p2 owner who didn't want the VF). Anyway, concur with the other posts, it is essentially a must have!

Janis

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you -- I'm tempted on the silver, but would like the black to go with the black camera, and I KNOW if I get the silver one a huge load of black ones will come in! I'll start checking ebay.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It makes sense to me. E-PL1 is aimed at the lower end while the E-P2 is the higher end. Even the commercials market the E-PL1 as the "easy like a P&S" with SLR like capability. At the price point of the VF-2, that would easily place the camera well above its intended competition price wise (double of some high end P&S cameras).

If the VF2 is important, then Olympus wants you to go with the E-P2.

DDG

Mu-43 Regular
Hello, I'm a new PL-1 owner too, and I was very disappointed with the visibility of the LCD in bright sunshine until I just happened to run across the instructions in the manual on how to boost the screen brightness. With the brightness turned all the way up to +7, it's at least usable in harsh afternoon sunlight. I still have to shade it with my hand once in a while, but when I do, I actually see something.

Latest threads

Top Bottom