Featured Vietnam via Darktable

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by peter124, Sep 25, 2017.

1. A few shots from a trip earlier this year. Processed from ORF using the Windows build of Darktable.
    Y2040030.

Y2070086. Y2070089. Y2100158. Y2140179. Y2150201. Y2150203.

• Like Like x 23
    • Winner Winner x 16
  2. fader

fader Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Brest, France
    Isaac
    Beautiful shots, Peter! Love the scooters shots! I'm a rabid fan of Darktable myself. Great to see others using it.

cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. stagor

stagor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    great set of photos, and nice processing.

4. Great set Peter.

5. Aperture Don

Aperture Don Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    They're all great, but I love that 1st shot.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Thanks for all the nice comments!

Fader, I came across Darktable when I decided to switch to Linux on my home computers. Quickly realized that it was a credible competitor to Lightroom. The only problem was that the computer I take on vacations is a Microsoft Surface 3, and as far as I've been able to tell, Linux installations are somewhat hit and miss on that machine.

And then, along comes the preliminary Darktable build for Windows! To my surprise, it actually runs quite well on the Surface 3 , the one with the tiny Atom processor. Lightroom on the same machine is impossible. I'm frankly amazed.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. fader

fader Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Brest, France
    Isaac
    I'm a tech guy, so having native software is nice for me to avoid having to dual-boot into windows. For sure losing all the touch features on the Surface isn't worth using Linux for. I used to work for the Dark Lords in Redmond so I try not to be overly religious about it.

What I really love about darktable is the combined paint brush and parametric masking capabilities. Any tool in the whole program has a standard mask interface, and that makes all the difference, I think. I used Lightzone before DT and it's masking capabilities weren't nearly as refined.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AaronE

AaronE Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2013
    Idaho
    Great images. I have been thinking about Darktable myself. Will it open dng files?

9. fader

fader Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Brest, France
    Isaac
    Yes, DNG from most cameras are supported. Check out this link for the full range of open source photography software:

PIXLS.US - Free/Open Source Photography

• Like Like x 1
  10. BosseBe

BosseBe Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    @peter124@peter124 Great photos! That first photo seems to just kind of grab you, or is it the surprise of seeing 6 people on one scooter?

11. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Darktable is great for processing, but their raw conversion of olympus files is not great. For the best output, use Olympus Viewer 3 to convert ORF to TIF and process TIF in Darktable.

12. Thanks! This was shot from inside a cab, on the way into Hanoi. Even the cab driver was surprised to see 6 people on one scooter.

I think one of the reasons the photo works is the varied expressions on everyone's faces. Sometimes you just get lucky with your photo efforts!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mpeg

mpeg 4/3 Activist... Subscribing Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    Gordo
    A real nice set of images... :)