1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Vietnam Travel - Please Comment & Critique!

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by thenextpage, Mar 31, 2015.

1. thenextpage

thenextpage Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2014
    Hello friends,

I'm a hobby photographer, and shoot with Olympus E-M1 & E-M5 bodies. I'm focusing on improving my operational skills as well as composition. My fiance and I recently traveled through Vietnam and Cambodia, so I wanted to share some photos with you all - and I'm looking for any feedback. If you would be so kind as to take the time, please let me know your thoughts, suggestions and critiques. We have nearly 800 photos that I feel came out decent, but I can only upload 10 onto this post so 10 it is.
    Vietnam-29. Vietnam-27. Vietnam-22. Vietnam-20. Vietnam-9. Vietnam-10. Vietnam-18. Vietnam-21. Vietnam-28. Vietnam-1.
    These we're all taken with one of the following lenses:
    Zuiko 75mm 1.8
    Zuiko 12-40mm 2.8
    Panasonic 25mm 1.4

Thank you so much!

• Like Like x 10
  2. Clicka

Clicka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Vancouver
    Peter Campbell
    great photos. That pig has personality. I hope that's not him again in photo 2.
    Cool looking skink or gecko.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    "That'd better be one charming pig..." :dance2::dance3:

Really nice shots, all of them. I especially liked the framing of the boy with the motorcycle, and the dog by the fruit stand is really cute. I wonder how the old lady counting cash pic would look with a little more grain, or perhaps black and white?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Nice set of shots. I love Cambodia. Fantastic, friendly people. I love the shot of the woman counting her money.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I like the second one but the plastic bags seem to draw too much attention.

the child with a motorcycle is very nice, I like the use of the tube behind as a frame (sorry, is there a better word for that in English?), and I'd like to crop a bit to further strengthen that.

and the dog is very very adorable, I lose my ability to judge whenever there's an adorable dog.

• Like Like x 1
  6. thenextpage

Oct 13, 2014
    Yes I thought the same thing! Didn't even have to ask the pig for a pose..

7. thenextpage

Oct 13, 2014
    Thank you Lcrunyon for your feedback, much appreciated. I agree the woman counting cash would look nice with some grain.

8. thenextpage

Oct 13, 2014
    Richella, thank you so much for your feedback; it means alot to me coming from you. You actually helped me alot to prepare for that trip to Vietnam in regards to planning my photo kit.

9. thenextpage

Oct 13, 2014
    Thank you for your feedback jyc860923. I agree the woman cutting was one of the photos I hoped would come out well - but there is a bit too much in the frame distracting from her, and it came out a bit blurry. I like to shoot at a low iso as much as possible; and sometimes that hurts me because photos come out with blur. And I usually don't see it until I have it up on the big screen in LR and it't then too late. I cropped that boy with the tube in the background and it looks good! boy vietnam - cropped-1.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Islesfan91

Islesfan91 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    these are great! we're heading to vietnam in the fall, and i can't wait to get off the plane and out with the camera

11. thenextpage

Oct 13, 2014
    Awesome Islesfan91, it's a fantastic place to see. This was my first time visiting. Do you have an itinerary yet? We spent a few days each in HCM, various cities along the Mekong, Dalat, and a few days in Siem Reap Cambodia. All were fun and interesting in their own way. I'll post some more photos from the trip soon.

12. Islesfan91

Islesfan91 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    We're still working that out but so far it looks like we're going to start in Hanoi, spend at least a night or two on a boat in ha long Bay, then a trip to Sapa before heading south. We're going with nothing booked other than our hotel for the first night and will spend approximately two weeks in Vietnam and a week in Cambodia, however it may change a bit, we're trying to finalize that before we buy the plane tickets. Cannot wait.