1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Vietnam and Korea: E-P1, Panny 20 and Square

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by dreilly, Dec 7, 2010.

1. dreilly

dreilly Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2010
    This fall, I travelled to Seoul, Korea and then Saigon and Hanoi in Vietnam to visit students studying abroad. I took along only my E-p1, and set it for square format. I mostly used a Panny 20, which is as glued to my brain as it is to my E-P1. I also had a 12-60 four thirds lens which I used only occasionally. I love the constraints of a fast prime. There's a lot there but I hope you enjoy dipping into it:

Collection: Vietnam and Korea, Fall 2010

• Like Like x 1
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    d,
    Thanks for joining the forum and posting this.
    They look good but I will check them out closer when I get back to my machine later. Tge iphoney doesn't do your images justice.
    Shooter

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I love your squares. I will revisit them some more when time permits.

4. dreilly

dreilly Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2010
    I tried to post a few teasers but they were probably too big. I just rescaled them. I had a blast with the square format. Just like with the on-board black and white function, the 1:1 (or 6:6 as I think Oly calls it) allows you to "see" in a different way. I would love an articulated screen for this, as it is so reminiscent of shooting with a TLR. I didn't miss the edges for a single moment, and it was far easier to shoot this way and get comfortable with it than imaging a square and then cropping later.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  5. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Great set of photos. I have been to most of the places you have posted at one time or another, and you very effectively and vividly captured the essence of those places. BTW, my wife was a flight attendant for over 20 years and got a kick out of your picture and comment on the Korean flight attendants at Seoul A/P. She also agrees with your comments about the differences in "elegance".:smile:

6. I like the way you've given yourself a set of constraints with one focal length and the square format and worked around them to produce a nice set of themed images. It also reminded me of my own trip to Vietnam a few years ago which brings back some good memories. Well done!

7. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    nice set on flickr!