1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Video with EM-1 and Røde mic hiss

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Akashi, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Hi,

I am having trouble getting my mic (Røde StereoMic) to record without significant hiss. I did nit have this problem in the past but after the latest firmware on EM-1 I can´t get rid of the hiss. I tried lowering the input both on the mic (Mic output) and on the EM-1 - anyone experienced the same?

Do I need to change to an external recorder and sync sound afterwards or are there other mics that work better?

2. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    I have the same problems with EM5 and GH3 cameras. Biff gave me a tip. Use an external mixer. Now I set the camera volume as low as it will go and plug the mixer into the camera and the mic plugs into the mixer.
    It seems the preamp in the cameras is very noisy. I use a "Juiced Link" mixer and it has a VERY clean preamp and now audio has no hiss or noise at all! Also I have several inputs for multiple mics.
    I usually plug a camera mounted mic into one mixer port and a wireless mic into another port. Now I can adjust the volume of the two mics independently.

The mixer is mounted on my camera cage along with a mic, a wireless mic receiver, a LED light and a 7" monitor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Thanks, I now understand the problem! But the solution you suggest is a 400 USD solution - thats a bit much (any cheaper mixers out there?) - Looks like an external recorder is the way to go for me then, like the zoom H1. Thank you a very helpful post!

4. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    This solved it for me. Setting my camera to -10 line in and boosting my mic to +20 db! Great tip!

• Like Like x 1
  5. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    If you are going to stay in Video, you WILL need a mixer! Cameras come and go but your mixer will stay and become a great investment. My brand is only one of a number of tiny mixers on the market. Just be careful to research opinions of users. I picked mine because of a recommendation from a friend that works for high end clients such as Coke Cola. Juiced link is VERY clean and can be useful in a variety of applications.
    I have been shooting video full time since 1988 and the first tools I bought were a Panasonic VHS camera (Ugh). The next tool was a Sony mic. The third tool was a mixer. Still got the mic and the mixer.

Good Luck