1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Video with E-M5 and 14-150

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nukl, Jul 1, 2012.

1. nukl

nukl New to Mu-43

Dec 31, 2011
    Austria
    Hi,

I've currently an E-P2 with lots of lenses and I'm going to get myself an E-M5.
    I didn't do much video up till now, but since we will have a baby within some weeks I want to use video more often.

My question is, whether, apart from power zoom and the wheather sealing, there is a disadvantage when using my 14-150 instead of the 12-50 for video...

Do you have any experiences? I do not want to by (and especially carry around) a lens just for video...

Regards,
    Nukl

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    If you buying the OM-D, id say cough up the extra 300 and get the 12-50 kit lens. Its a decent daytime lens, and its has a macro function which comes in handy (along with the power zoom and weather sealing as you mentioned)

If you dont like it, you can find a buyer for it EASILY for around 300 bux...so nothing lost.

3. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    I sit on the opposite end actually. I don't think you'll notice a difference in focus speeds between the 14-150mm and the 12-50mm. If weather sealing is important to you, then I'd say to get the 12-50mm, but otherwise, I think for your use the 14-150mm will be a better suited lens. For video, they are both optimized in the same way (MSC, etc) so there really shouldn't be any difference.

4. apekkpul

apekkpul Mu-43 Rookie

May 2, 2012
    Since you already have 14-150mm, I think you don't need another slow lens. 12-50mm has an additional function button that can be used for auto focus lock/release, and it is handy but OM-D's continuous AF is not so good so I'm not using it too often. Primes like Olympus 45mm would be good to shoot video indoors.

Pekka

5. nukl

nukl New to Mu-43

Dec 31, 2011
    Austria
    Thanks for your responses.
    So I understand the autofocus speed during video is similar fast & relyable with both lenses...
    So whats left is
    • the wheather-sealing
    • 12mm (my shortest length ist 14mm currently)
    • 200 EUR.
    Regards,
    Nukl

6. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I had the 12-50 with my em-5 but sold it in favor of the 14-150. No regrets so far, though I haven't really used it extensively yet. They are both pretty fast focusing and really I can't tell a difference between extremely fast and fastest these days.

As for the weather sealing, it really depends on where you use it. I actually needed it when I was on vacation but once I got back, I soon realized I don't really need it on everyday use.

The 12mm vs 14mm is again, based on your preference. Since you already have the 14-150, do you feel like it's not wide enough? While the difference between 12 and 14 is pretty noticeable, it still might not be wide enough for you.

I'd say get the em-5 body only for now. While the other member here said that you can easily sell the 12-50 for 300, here in the US, and particularly here in this forum, you can easily buy a 12-50 for $300, sometimes even less if the seller is looking for a quick sell. Your situation in Austria might be different though.

• Like Like x 1