1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Video: Who has an OMD E-M5 mark II at hand?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Thomahawk, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Thomahawk

Thomahawk Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2013
    Switzerland
    Thomas
    I would like to know if the E-M5 mark II can refocus during video recording. Not the AF-C automatic refocus, which is a really useless thing because it makes videos looking very unstable. No, I mean like what I am used to with my E-PL5: in AF-S modus, I start recording video, and while recording I can specifically set a new focus by half-clicking the shutter. Thats what I need, and I already know that the E-PL7 or the E-M10 mark II can not do this. So, what about the E-M5II – which is supposed to be the best Olympus for video yet?

Thanks for your input on this.
    Thom

2. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Just MF. It's better and more accurate plus you don't get that annoying refocus during your clips. As far as I know pressing the shutter halfway down does not work (it did on my Pany G3).

Learn to MF it's worth it and way more accurate. It will make your stuff look more professional.

3. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I have the e-m5 II and it definitely supports s-af when shooting video. The way I set things up is to put the camera in manual + S-AF mode and then any function button NOT assigned to any function will work as a focus button when recording (or before recording). I would assume this would work on the Epl7 and em10 II as well, as this is how my ep5 and original em5 worked?

I like Olympus' implementation much better than Panasonic where s-af only works before recording starts. To get both s-af and manual in Panasonic land you need to set the camera to s-af and can only adjust the focus manual by holding down a button at the same time.

Jdk, I agree with using manual focus (which is how I do things most of the time), however sometimes I need to get back in focus quickly and s-af is a great help.

I also find the focus peaking in the new Olympus cameras much better than the focus peaking in my lx100 and gx7.

4. Thomahawk

Thomahawk Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2013
    Switzerland
    Thomas
    Thank you Sgreszcz, thats great news. When I had the EPL7 for testing, I asked Olympus (here in Switzerland) about this, but they were not able to give me a solution, so I sent it back. Specific autofocus during S-AF is the setting I mostly use, because the happenings I record do not wait until I am set. I have to be quick in most of the cases – changing lenses or even thinking about manual focus – and the moment is lost.

5. Thomahawk

Thomahawk Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2013
    Switzerland
    Thomas
    OK, I have it here and it works as you said, I can use the HDR button for focus during recording with S-AF & MF. Great.

It video quality is clearly improved over my old E-PL5 and that alone is worth the investment.

BUT, I am really disappointed regarding the photo image quality. My test showed the Pen E-PL5 has a better picture (see attached image comparison). The sharpness is clearly better with the E-PL5. I did set both cameras to 200 ISO, 1/8 sec., F5, same 20mm lens and all settings like 0 sharpness, 5400K light, sRGB, I tested AF-S and MF, result is the same.

em5II-e-pl5.