Video using a Zoom H2 as a mic on Pen cameras

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Sammyboy, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    A few months prior to the release of the E-M5, I received a memo stating the new Olympus LS series of recorders were compatible with the new m43 cameras. Since I don't have one of these new recorders, I was wondering if anyone has tried this set-up? I connected my Zoom H2 recorder to my E-P2 using the line out to the Olympus EMA-1 external microphone adapter. I tested the volumes by varying the gain on the H2 from high to mid to low. All the setting were acceptable with no clipping or overload. The mic is very sensitive but did not pick up any noise due to handling or focusing. Here is a photo of the set-up. All comments are welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Les

Les New to Mu-43

Dec 13, 2011
    I really haven't given this any thought. I have the E-PM1 but I also have the Olympus LS-11 Linear PCM Recorder. An excellent handheld recorder( I believe smaller than the H2) that can record much higher than CD quality, like the H2.

So, if the Zoom H2 worked with the EMA-1 would it be safe to assume the LS-11 would work with the EMA-1 ?

If so, I would comsider getting the EMA-1.

3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I'm not familier with the LS-11, but I would assume it would work as long as it has a line out jack which I'm sure it does. Olympus certainly make some excellent handheld recorders.

4. Les

Les New to Mu-43

Dec 13, 2011
    Yeah, the LS-11 I believed I paid about $250. You can record a live concert with good to excellent results. Anyways, I wish I could get just the adapter in the EMA-1 kit without the microphone. Although if I did not have the LS-11 I'm feel certain the EMA-1 is worth it with the included microphone.

On second thought the EMA-1 would be worth it for the simple convenience of, well, even smaller size - the biggest reason why I like m4/3 - especially the E-PM1.

I'm just getting into the E-PM1 for photography - a lot to learn. But I do want to record video in time. Getting an excellent sound recording with the video can make a huge difference.

5. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    I'm not sure that the built in mics in an H2 or LS-11 are that much better than the mic included with the EMA-1. I have, however, had great results recording live music with a pair of Church Audio (CAFS-Omni) mics, a 9v battery box and the EMA-1. There's no way to know your audio levels while recording, but I haven't expereinced clipping with this setup yet.

6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The H2 offers more gain as it has a gain selection switch. The M51S mic that's included in the SEMA-1 kit is a very good mic, but you have to move it away from the camera with the included extension cord, if not, the mic will pick up noise from just handling the camera.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, you do have an ideal setup here, Sammy. You have full individual control of your audio gain, plus you can also disconnect the zoom mic and record unsynced audio if you need to get it closer to your subject. Very versatile kit.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Me too, but at the volume which Olympus sells these kits, it's not cost-efficient for them to offer both the mic + adapter kit (SEMA-1) and the adapter-only (EMA-1) to all distributors. Too many SEMA-1 kits sit on the shelves for too long, but when somebody comes by needing one then they will take whatever they can get! It is definitely a "must-have" for many, but even that many is a very small segment of the market.

I believe you can order just the EMA-1 adapter directly from Olympus, but who has time to wait for that? ;) I'd rather just pay the extra for the entire SEMA-1 kit from a local dealer. Besides which, even if I don't use the microphone that comes with it, the 3.5mm extension cord/tie clip is VERY useful to have.