1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Video shot with the GX7 and two Olympus lenses

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by hit_and_misanthrope, Feb 25, 2014.

1. hit_and_misanthrope

hit_and_misanthrope Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    I just finished a short promo video project for the school where I teach, which I made with the GX7 along with the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 and the Olympus 17mm f1.8.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc36XNbBy4o
    A couple of shots were done on a Red Epic and a Rokinon lens (can you spot the shots?), but everything else was handheld on the RX7 (one shot the camera was mounted on a bicycle).
    After shooting in a variety of settings with this camera and lenses, al I can say is 'Wow.' I love it. The portability and lightness make the camera a pleasure to use. The autofocus on these lenses is phenomenal -- fast, quiet and accurate!
    The look of the camera itself really removes the intimidation factor for many people I was filming. It just looks cool and retro and stylish, and people really dig it.
    The viewfinder really comes in handy. The front row dance shots were only possible because of this stealthy way of shooting, and using the viewfinder allowed me to get rock steady handheld stuff. I only stabilized two shots in the finished video, just to see how it looked. I actually prefer the unstabilized look. I am looking forward to trying out a stabilized lens in the future, though.
    I shot at 1080/24p, 1080/60p, 720/60p and edited at 720/24p because I wanted to experiment a bit. I wish now I had done all 30/60p, but I do like the look of 24p. It was really cool to have options to crop and reframe the higher res 1080p shots in my 720p frame in Premiere Pro. I think the slo-mo stuff (slowed down 39.96%) looks amazing.

• Like Like x 3
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    All handheld?

3. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Toronto
    Curious too, no rig ?

4. hit_and_misanthrope

Jan 19, 2014
    Pretty much. The shot of the purple liquid turning clear is a Red Epic shot on a slider. The smooth shot in the gym gliding toward the practicing basketball players was on a bike. The hockey players walking by, the camera was resting on a ledge. The centre stage wide dance shot was on a tripod. I'd say 95% overall was handheld. I have pretty steady hands and some decent handheld technique. I teach filmmaking.

5. hit_and_misanthrope

Jan 19, 2014
    No rig. It really isn't necessary for this camera.

6. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I watched it twice and I did not pick out the Red Epic shot, I can tell that it was on a slider. All of your shots have a lot of movement in them so I can see why unstabilized works. Your film does your school proud, thank you for posting it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    That would make it a great camera for documentary work. Just curious, have you used a GH3, if so, how would you compare the two?

8. hit_and_misanthrope

Jan 19, 2014
    I haven't tried the GH3, unfortunately. I'd imagine the handling would be very similar, but of course the GH3 has higher bitrate video options. That said, I'm super pleased with the video quality out of the camera. The higher ISO performance is very clean, and the colour and saturation in the "natural" setting is quite pleasing to my eye.
    I agree this would make an outstanding doc cam. The built-in mic records very good sound, actually. But with the 24p option, this is also a phenomenal camera for narrative stuff, too. This cam (or the G5, or whatever 24p 4/3 camera you pick) with the 17mm f1.8 is all you need. I really love that focal length.

9. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks. I really like the 17 f1.8 as well.

10. Jaynometry

Jaynometry Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    That was a lot of fun to watch and made me miss high school. Great, stellar work!