1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Video settings for shooting....

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by fotomatix, Mar 15, 2011.

1. fotomatix

fotomatix Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Canada
    So most of the time I take simple clips of a few minutes long. Regular stuff. Mostly indoors. Kids birthdays, dinner parties, playing around the house.

The outdoor videos are usually easier due to superior lighting.

Can you please share, what in your opinion, would be a few key settings I should set prior to shooting in the above indoor examples?

I'm thinking WB is important, and to avoid the 'auto' setting?

Also is C-AF (TR) better than simple C-AF...or should it be another setting?

The other thing is what mode should I choose? A, P, M, ?? Movie mode?

Thanks. Any comments will help.

2. eternallurker

eternallurker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 22, 2010
    If you are looking to "document" everything as it happens, then you should probably go more auto (or get a real video camera).

Since you are using an Oly, you'll have to experiment to get a hang of the camera to see what works best for you, depending on your goals and style your are after.

I still haven't found the sweet spot on my EPL1 for shooting uncontrolled low light enviroment video.
    But here are some of my tips.

Don't be afraid to boost the ISO to higher numbers.
    Video is more forgiving of gain noise than high res still pictures.
    (This is my highly controversial opinion in video forums, so you should test yourself to see how much noise is too much for you).

I shoot my video as Manual as the camera allows me, but I have a videographer/fiction background and a Full Manual mindset most of the time, so I'm pretty comfortable and fast at manual focusing, WB, shutter speed, etc.

The great thing about manual focusing is that I get rid of that fast annoying focus hunting.
    I preffer the "artsy" documentary look manual focusing gives to a video.

For your usual indoor (parties, living rooms, etc) I'd try to get the faster and wider lens possible.

This of course are tips that suit my style, so it might not work at all for you.

• Like Like x 1