Video remote control for E-M1 II?

msatlas

Mu-43 Regular
I'm shooting a youtube cooking show in my kitchen with my E-M1 II, and while I have my wife to help me operate the camera some of the time, there are other times where I'm doing it on my own. I'm trying to figure out a way to remotely control video recording where I'm already in the shot and can tuck a remote in my pocket, but I'm not yet at a viable solution.

I've played around with using the OI.Share remote control in live view mode with the camera set to video mode, but it forces the camera to record in 1080p instead of 4k. If I put OI.Share in remote shutter mode, I can't figure out any way to record video, as best I can tell it's working like a cable release, and only trips the shutter button which I believe is activating the AF.

I found the Olympus RM-CB2 cable release, which I'm guessing is similarly useless for video, and even if it could control video, doesn't really help my use case because I'd still have to walk over to the camera, hit record, and walk back into the shot. JJC makes this wireless version of the RM-CB2, but I don't believe there are any video controls here.

What I'm really wanting to find is something similar to one of the many remotes from Sony that have video recording controls. For example, this RMT-DSLR2.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

All I need is a little red record button like this and I'd be golden. Does anybody know of anything along these lines that would work with the E-M1 II? Thanks!

msatlas

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If anyone's curious, I may have found a solution. I posted this same question on the dpreview forums and someone there suggested changing the button functions in movie mode to disable the record button, and assign the record function to the shutter button. They're using this with a wireless flash trigger but there are many remote releases that work with the E-M1 II (and E-M1X & E-M1 III) because it has the same type of 2.5mm release cable socket as many many Canon and Pentax cameras, among others.

I tried remapping the buttons as described, and pressing the shutter button does in fact start/stop recording in video mode. For whatever reason, using the remote shutter function in OI.Share doesn't start stop recording. But I went ahead and ordered this cheap remote release and I'll see if it does the trick. It feels kludgy to have to remap buttons and use a whole separate attachment to the camera, vs. a simple remote for Sony, but this is apparently the best that can be managed with an E-M1 II.

One nice thing about using a remote release though is down the road it'll make doing multi-camera shoots easier. I can get another of the same release and both receivers to the same channel, and then 1 remote will control however many cameras. The receiver has a standard 2.5mm socket so even if I got some other camera that takes a different release cable, I just would need to get the correct release cable for whatever camera and it's good to go. Then I'd be able to start/stop recording on all cameras at the same time.

4Paul

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Paul Keller
Been wanting to enquire exactly after this - start/stopping the video remotely. Useful information, since: IT WORKS!
Thank you so much.
Paul

msatlas

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I received the Neewer remote and sure enough it does work for recording video once the shutter button is reassigned to the recording function for video mode. At first it didn't work, and I went into settings and noticed the shutter button had been reset to its default instead of start/stop recording. I'm guessing maybe OI.Share did this, kinda like how it forces the camera to record in 1080p instead of 4k. Once I reset the shutter function to record the remote worked perfectly for that purpose.

This remote is actually nicer than some others that are more expensive from JJC and Pixel. Both the remote and the receiver use plain old regular AAA batteries and it even included 4 AAAs in the package and a little wrist strap for the remote. This thing is a good pickup for anyone who needs a remote release, video or otherwise.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom