1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Video Recording of GX1 indoors

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by michael68, Sep 19, 2012.

1. michael68

michael68 Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    One of the problems I had using my Oly EPL2 was the video recording which is not autofocusing and you have to tap the shutter button to refocus when the subject changes from near to far (or vice versa).

I am tempted to get the GX1 as it focuses automatically. My questions are:
    1) how is the quality of the video quality indoors? Noisy?
    2) Use of Oly lenses: Does the autofous function still works?

Are there any things to look out for? I have the current lenses:

Panny 20mm F1.7
    Oly 45 mm F1.8
    Oly 14-42mm F3.6
    Oly 40-150mm F4.0

Hopefully in video mode, the Oly lenses would be able to autofocus and keep moving subjects sharp.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Michael

2. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    I have the Oly 45mm also it autofocuses automatically without half-pressing the shutter button. Though I have not tried with a subject moving closer. And it has the tendency to keep searching before actually focusing.

I rarely use video, but in the twice I've used it indoors, it was in our office and there was slight banding. Lots of fluorescent lights here. It's not that noisy, but I guess it was because it was a little bright due to the lights.

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What AF mode were you using? Mine works fine if it is in C-AF or C-AF-TR. The tracking mode works a tiny bit better for a single subject. The AF is not real fast and sometimes hunts but it does work.

4. michael68

michael68 Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback. Strange....I read reviews about EPL2 on movie recording and they said autofocus is continuous....I have enabled CAF in the setup but somehow when I use the kit lens to record near and far objects, the autofocus don't seem to work...just wondering if I am missing anything which I forgot to setup? Thanks again!

Michael

5. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Video focus is continuous on the E-PL2 as far as I know - this was one improvement made over the E-PL1

6. ChipThome

ChipThome Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2011
    Here's my opinion, and as always YMMV.

Oly kicks Panasonic's butt when it comes to stills.
    Panasonic kicks Oly's butt when it comes to video.
    In the Panasonic lineup, the GH2 will kick the GX1's butt in every aspect of video recording.
    Grainy indoor video is cured by adding more light or putting on a faster lens. Light in the camera is the fix, how it gets there, your option. Your 45 and 20 should fix that, although the auto focus of the 20 for video is kinda funky.
    If shooting video is going to be important to you, bump your thinking to a GH2 and in the long run you will be much happier with your results.

7. speedandstyle

Both my E-PL1 and E-PL2 will adjust focus during video if used in CAF or CAF-tr. The tracking AF works a tiny bit better if following a single subject and the E-PL2 does a better job of it. BUT both cameras adjust the focus when shooting video! I also tested the first and second versions of the kit lens and both work. If your's does not adjust focus than either you had some setting wrong or your camera was not functioning correctly.

8. michael68

michael68 Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    Thanks for the inputs. Will probably be getting the Panny GX1 as I like the fast autofocus as well as the design.

As for my EPL2, my settings is already in the modes that enable autofocus but yet when I shift the object from far to near, it remains out of focus. Probably a defect somewhere or there is still something I am missing....and usually, I would have to tap the shutter for it to refocus again....

9. michael68

michael68 Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    Finally got it working!

I finally got the autofocus to work by going through the menus and setting it one by one again. Finally let it settled at CA-F and managed to get the autofocus working. Must admit that for indoors, it may take a while to hunt and focus itself due to the dimmer light conditions. I guess for outdoors it would be just great.

Thanks everyone!

10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I was playing around with video on GX1 today, indoors in so-so light, with the 25/1.4, 14/2.5 and the 45/1.8. 45/1.8 was 2 - 3X slower to AF than the 25/1.4, to the point where I wouldn't really want to shoot video with it using AF.

The 14/2.5 was maybe as quick as 25/1.4, or just a bit slower.

11. speedandstyle

Glad to hear that it was just some settings. So you know auto focusing for a video camera is never perfect! Even $10K pro video cameras can have issues and hunt or be slow. When pros adjust the focus for video it is done manually with a follow focus. I bet the GX1 is a little bit better than the E-PL but only a little bit! If you really need the best AF for video it would be best to get a true camcorder. Either that or get a follow focus and learn how to use it{tricky as hell for live events - not bad if you rehearse the shot and mark the focus wheel}.

Follow focus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia