1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Video question for EM1/5II owners - digital zoom during video??

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Steven, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Someone on Dpreview forums mentioned a curious feature that I've never seen mentioned anywhere else - apparently you can push a button during filming and field of view will zoom in 2X or so , and you can toggle this function . Is this real? How is the quality of zoomed in footage ? Can someone confirm this works? A video of results would be amazing ! This could totally push me over the edge toward an Olympus as I do a lot of casual filming with primes .
    Another question - how easy is it to change exposure parameters, Aperture/shutter speed/ISO during filming ? Are they assigned to wheels ?
    Thanks! !

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Sounds like you talking about the Preview Button, it does not zoom the the recording, i.e., - it won't turn a prime into a zone. I use it to preview Depth of Field.

3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
  5. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    For run and gun I think you are right. People keep harping on video quality but for most people the E-M1 is good enough and the new framerates will be great.

Always worth watching:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

Panasonic does have the Ex. Tele Conv mode, which crops the image so that it appears to zoom to x2. This is a lossless process, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it on the fly with video.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have been shooting a lot of video with my E-M5 ii with Olympus primes to great effect. I don't think that you will limited at all using either an E-M1 or E-M5 ii for video unless you absolutely need 4K.

8. PhotoDmiK

PhotoDmiK Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2015
    I using this feature and like it. Seems it do 4x crop of selected area in 720p resolution and upscale if required. There is few frames video lag on toggle, but sound recorded fine.
    I do want to adjust zoom level but not found setting yet.

By default it assigned to FN2 button. You hit it once to activate floating frame on monitor, move it to desired place, hit one more time to zoom. Hit one more time to return full image and move frame to other place.

9. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Wouldn't it be more effective and worthwhile to just zoom in post?

You could zoom and crop where you wanted to.

10. TJC-MFT

TJC-MFT Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Tom Cadwalader
    Maybe I'll do a test later tonight or tomorrow and see if there is any quality difference.

11. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    That was my next question if there was a difference in quality. In post you can control how much you want to zoom in.

This is where 4K will be handy.

12. TJC-MFT

TJC-MFT Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Tom Cadwalader
    Maybe I won't after all. I can't get the feature to work during video recording. I must have something set wrong, not allowing this wot work. I am on 4.0 firmware now and just got all of my settings back to where I had them, but something must be different still.

13. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    How are you liking v4? I'm still on v1.
    I'm dreading putting all my settings back to how I have them now.

14. TJC-MFT

TJC-MFT Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Tom Cadwalader
    Haven't had much time to work with the new features yet, but focus stacking is pretty cool. I still need to dial in my settings for contrast and saturation. I had been shooting raw so I never adjusted these picture settings before. But now with focus stacking I need to do this because the result from the stacking is a jpeg.

15. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Cool! I have yet to update my EM5 II. Still at v1.0. Maybe in teh future lol