Video Quality of the E-P3 & E-PL3 vs E-P2 & E-PL2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by M4/3, Oct 7, 2011.

1. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    While everyone agrees the still image quality of the E-P3 & E-PL3 is virtually the same as the E-P2 & E-PL2, (and is DSLR league quality) the video quality of the E-P2 & E-PL2 is definately not DSLR league quality.

So I'm wondering what owners of the E-P3 & E-PL3 think of the video quality? Has it improved greatly over the E-P2 & E-PL2 models? Is it now approaching DSLR video quality?
  2. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I suppose it depends on the DSLR but the EP2/EPL3/EPM1 is definitely better than the older generations with their higher resolution and better supported formats.

The sensor is still smaller than APS-C so I doubt video quality would match say a 5dmk2 but it shouldn't be too far off an entry level dslr.
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    OK... I only have an E-P1.....and a Canon 5D Mk2

And while the Canon is capable of producing better looking video... most of this comes from the larger sensor offering both better high ISO and a shallower depth of field.

Olympus have shot some of their own adverts using the Pen... and they were also used for some shots in the film Seabiscuit.

here are a couple of tests I did mixing Canon and E-p1 footage

[ame=]Experiment with 2 cameras on Vimeo[/ame]

[ame=]continuing experiment 5d and e-p1 on Vimeo[/ame]

and two years on I can't recall which shots were with which!

Also this was shot this summer on the E-P1 alone

[ame=]A Garden in Gent on Vimeo[/ame]

the newer PENs do offer 1080p... and more importantly offer full manual control when shooting video... which is key to getting 'professional' looking results

4. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    Secretariat. Seabiscuit came out before the E-1. :biggrin:
  5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    oops.... But I am with Eddie Izzard when it comes to horse names

[ame=]Eddie Izzard- Horse Races - YouTube[/ame]