Video quality improve with other lenses on E-PL1?

m43baby

Mu-43 Regular
If you get other lenses and use them on the E-PL1, does the video quality improve over the kit lens that comes with the camera?

penfan2010

Mu-43 All-Pro
Other lenses for m 4/3 video

Depends on what you are after. I have shot video with my E-P1 using a manual focus 38mm Olympus lens for the original Pen-F film camera so I could get shallower depth-of-field than I could get using the kit zoom lens (since the 38mm has a wider maximum aperture). Also, I notice that there is definitely a different color hue with the old MF lenses -- the 38mm has more contrast and sharper colors than the kit lens. Lastly, less about quality but more regards ease-of-use, manual focus film lenses have much smoother focusing and better focus control than most AF lenses.

That said, I have seen other members do really good work using the kit zoom on their E-PL1s (check out Robert Watcher's Edgy Music Video post, for instance).

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
Newer lens are optimised for video with silent focusing. This applies to the 14-150, 14-140(Pana) and the newest 14-42 (with E-PL2). I think AF of these lenses is better for video too. Apart from that as penfan2010 said each lens will have its own qualities.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom