Video quality improve with other lenses on E-PL1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by m43baby, Jan 17, 2011.

1. m43baby

m43baby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2011
    If you get other lenses and use them on the E-PL1, does the video quality improve over the kit lens that comes with the camera?

2. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Other lenses for m 4/3 video

Depends on what you are after. I have shot video with my E-P1 using a manual focus 38mm Olympus lens for the original Pen-F film camera so I could get shallower depth-of-field than I could get using the kit zoom lens (since the 38mm has a wider maximum aperture). Also, I notice that there is definitely a different color hue with the old MF lenses -- the 38mm has more contrast and sharper colors than the kit lens. Lastly, less about quality but more regards ease-of-use, manual focus film lenses have much smoother focusing and better focus control than most AF lenses.

That said, I have seen other members do really good work using the kit zoom on their E-PL1s (check out Robert Watcher's Edgy Music Video post, for instance).

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Newer lens are optimised for video with silent focusing. This applies to the 14-150, 14-140(Pana) and the newest 14-42 (with E-PL2). I think AF of these lenses is better for video too. Apart from that as penfan2010 said each lens will have its own qualities.