1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Video quality improve with other lenses on E-PL1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by m43baby, Jan 17, 2011.

1. m43baby

m43baby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2011
    If you get other lenses and use them on the E-PL1, does the video quality improve over the kit lens that comes with the camera?

2. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Other lenses for m 4/3 video

Depends on what you are after. I have shot video with my E-P1 using a manual focus 38mm Olympus lens for the original Pen-F film camera so I could get shallower depth-of-field than I could get using the kit zoom lens (since the 38mm has a wider maximum aperture). Also, I notice that there is definitely a different color hue with the old MF lenses -- the 38mm has more contrast and sharper colors than the kit lens. Lastly, less about quality but more regards ease-of-use, manual focus film lenses have much smoother focusing and better focus control than most AF lenses.

That said, I have seen other members do really good work using the kit zoom on their E-PL1s (check out Robert Watcher's Edgy Music Video post, for instance).

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Newer lens are optimised for video with silent focusing. This applies to the 14-150, 14-140(Pana) and the newest 14-42 (with E-PL2). I think AF of these lenses is better for video too. Apart from that as penfan2010 said each lens will have its own qualities.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.