1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Video Production Experts!! Please help. :)

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by gryphon1911, Apr 11, 2016.

1. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    My church is wanting to get into a more "professional" video live streaming presentation.

They have asked me to head up the project. I'm looking at what we can do fro ma very high level at this point.

The main goals are:

1) Keep costs to a minimum
    2) High end 1080p output
    3) live stream
    4) Up to 3 cameras.
    5) Destination - Youtube.
    6) Record/Save the final output for upload to other online video sources as desired.

I've never done anything at this level before, so I'm still trying to grasp the concept. From my research so far, I've found the following hardware "flow". Please correct anything I'm missing

Cameras are sending signal to an HD Video Switcher (something like a Roland V-1HD or a BlackMagic ATEM Television Studio). That program signal needs to go to an encoder box to go from the HDMI signal to RTMP or H.246, which then needs to go into a computer where it is uploaded to the streaming service of choice.

Do I have at least the basics of it down? Am I way off base here? Any help, no matter how small would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Andrew,

I honestly have no clue so I can't help you unfortunately. I wonder if your question would be better asked on a video-specific forum like EOS HD or DVX user? My guess if you'd get more, and likely better, responses at a place like that.

-Ian

3. AerialFilm1

AerialFilm1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2012
    Wekiva, Florida
    Head NAB in Vegas next week. It's the biggest broadcast convention in the world. I'm serious. Look around online for a vendor you want to see and chances are they'll have exhibit hall passes to comp. Don't look at this as a big deal. SW flies to LV, car and afffordable hotel in Henderson will keep costs down. You'll see all there is and find some vendors that specialize in faith based solutions for broadcast and streaming. You need an expert, otherwise you'll be cobbling together a half ass'd solution that will keep needing more and more investment right out of the box. You need a vendor that will provide a solution, not just products. It will be less expensive in the long.

Linky
    NAB Show

4. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Yep go to DVXuser.com. Without a background in video production you are walking on some dangerous ground. Professional video and sound productions require some serious knowledge. And I'd say a paid mentor for a while, you can sink a lot of money in equipment and still not have usable end product withhout knowledge and experience IMHO.

5. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I do live video production for a church, we use the live video during weekend events and publish edited video a few days later. No streaming, yet (looking at it now). We are working in 1080, although not with the latest gear.

It takes a 6-person team to operate three cams, direct, switch, and mix audio, plus it helps to have a producer and technician on hand. We have trained our people for many years to get where we are, and are constantly evaluating our process, style, and techniques to get the best footage we can. Live viewing/streaming will add some additional stress, as mistakes are seen real-time. It was a lot more relaxed when we did not have live viewing...

I dont think it needs to cost a bundle, many cams are doing very good 1080 these days. You can get away with two cameras, but it works a lot better with more cameras so your operators can take a breath when not live, and think through or look for their next shot coming up.

Our crew rehearses every week with our band, and directors and switcher take notes and work through specific shots. Winging it doesn't work very well, once you see something you want a shot of its usually gone by the time a director calls for it and your camera op sets it up.

We capture the program output only, so we have limited editing latitude later. Some churches with more resources capture all camera streams for editing and backup (you can do this in-camera pretty easily these days). We also capture digital audio for mixdown later, our published videos utilize edited audio for better quality.

The live streaming part I am not as familliar with just yet, but there seem to be a number of different solutions available. We have been looking at a standalone hardware encoder. I am not sure that is the best solution however.

If you have more questions about the production side, just ask!

6. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    I agree with all of the advice above. Case in point is my own temple. The person who took over video streaming for my temple ended up having to redo the cabling to get correct audio/video feeds, and replace incorrect cameras and mics, and reprogram the mixer and recording equipment, all because what was originally put in was incorrect both in type of equipment as well as configuration.

Best to get the right advice learn up front and then plan accordingly... or even hire a 'mentor' as mentioned as well ... measure twice, cut once ... as they say.

7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    a 'more' professional solution?... that implies you are already live streaming?

your basic goals seem fine

do you have the hardware you mentioned?... cameras? switcher?

I would suggest you reach out to other churches who are providing a similar service... they are more likely to have more useful advice than me a European heathen with a distrust of any form of religion :)

K

8. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    We are live streaming via Periscope using an iPod. Not the greatest solution, but it works to reach those who are bed ridden or unable to get to services on Sunday. It just does not look very good and Periscope is not the most stable of networks.

9. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Thanks all for the information. It is most appreciated. We do have a local camera store that has a robust video department, so I will talk with them sometime this week. There are some local video production houses as well, so will try and get a consult with some of them.

I don't plan on doing this willy-nilly myself. I'm just trying to get an idea for what might be needed once the discussions start.

10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    Another helpful article from one of my trusted resources:

SEEDS: The Life of Our Live Stream

They have a wealth of great info and behind-the-scenes articles relating to live production available.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1