1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Video only m4/3s

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, May 7, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've been pondering the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (BMPCC) for a while, but I thought wouldn't it be interesting if Panasonic or Olympus (Panasonic probably has the best chops for this) could bring out a GX-7/E-P5 style high quality video camera or video/still camera. The reason I've been pondering a small, pure video, camera is because I don't really want a DSLR style video camera as, in this instance, I do want something smaller so that I can do some vehicle based etc mounting, which isn't ideal with a DSLR sized body like the GH4. Nor do I don't want a GoPro. Also, a GX-7 style body with built in EVF would be ideal, making it better for handheld stuff outdoors. The added benefit would be that all m4/3 lenses would work properly with the body and not introduce a crop factor as with the BMPCC. I'm not sure how big a market there would be for such a camera, but the BMPCC seems to be selling like hot cakes. Additionally, making it a video only camera could possibly allow features/capabilities in the smaller body, that a combined video/stills may not.

2. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Well, Olympus doesn't give much attention to video, and I suspect Panasonic won't have great codecs for their cheaper and/or smaller cameras. That said, even with incremental improvements they may have something good enough down the line. I have been contemplating the bmpcc myself..

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    There's no reason Panasonic couldn't do a NEX-VG300 type camera, or a more compact consumer styled camcorder version. (Whether it's financially productive is another matter entirely.) However I don't really see the appeal or benefit of them designing a video-only camera in a traditional casing. They've already got the investment in photographic capture, unlike BlackMagic.

4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I assume you are asking because you want to use your m43 glass with whatever camera you get. If thats the case, your best bet might be a G series. Its still DSLR style, but smaller than the GH (and folks call the G6 the "GH2.5" so you will get top end video from it) Panasonics roadmap from about 6 months ago indicated G and GH for pro hybrid, everything else for enthusiast stills (and we know roadmaps never change :rofl:). I think the BMPCC is excellent, but requires a lot more work in post (it shoots raw), but my video skills are rudimentary, so I might be wrong about that. If you want a GX7 style video camera, maybe the GX7 is what you want. It produces high quality video, and has plenty of video options, but no external mic input or time code, so you are stuck with sound from the built in mic or using a background track (music, narration, whatever)

Edit: Minutes after posting this, I ran across this in a blog (the writer is an occasional poster here). Its a GX7 hybrid set up:
    http://soundimageplus.blogspot.ca/2014/05/the-hybridographer-my-panasonic-gx7-m43.html

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I certainly don't want a DSLR styled camera, there'd be no advantage over the E-M1, but the GX-7 looks interesting. Considering the praise the GH4 is getting, I think there would be a call for something similar in a smaller package, given how well received the BMPCC has been. The BMPCC takes m4/3 lenses, but I understand that the focussing is not as fast as with native cameras and you do lose some of the angle of view. And from that link, and others, it's interesting that no videographer uses the EVF, but attaches another over the LCD screen. That, even more, seems to indicate that a GX-7 style body would be possibly better for pure video users. I'm probably wrong, but I reckon there'd be a market for that style 4K video camera.