1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

video on the G3 almost equal to GH2 ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by amanieux, Jun 13, 2011.

1. amanieux

amanieux Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 13, 2011
    hi

i woud like to know if video quality on the G3 is almost as good as the gh2 or is it really crippled down to separate the G series from the GH series ?

will the 1080p/60i of the g3 be very different visually from 1080p/24p of the gh2 ?

thanks

2. britco

britco New to Mu-43

Jun 11, 2011
    uk
    i hope so...the GH2 is the flagship model after all

3. brunerww

brunerww  

Mar 5, 2011
    Hi amanieux,

There are long technical discussions of the differences between interlaced and progressive video elsewhere -- but you may also find these examples useful:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j29b7B6CSNM]YouTube - ‪1080i vs 1080p [interlaced vs progressive] 1080p FULL HD‬‏[/ame]

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV8UDBsf45Q]YouTube - ‪interlaced vs progressive scan slow motion‬‏[/ame]

When I found out that the G3 shot 1080 interlaced only, I lost interest in it as a backup for my GH2, and got a $399 body-only GH1 instead.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

4. amanieux

amanieux Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 13, 2011
    thank you
    but in the case of the g3, it says 60i with "30 fps output from the sensor" it means that two successive frames will be identical ? in this case the interlacing will disapear and it should look exactly like a 30p no ? (gh2 has 60i with a "60 fps output from the sensor", only then the interlacing effect will look like in these videos. am i wrong ?

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    was wondering the same thing. There's no 24p mode either. Seems like it makes the G3 pretty much a GH1 in terms of video?

6. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
  7. amanieux

amanieux Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 13, 2011
    sensor is not as important you think, image processing and compression is as important because for example, canon 7d and nikon d7000 have bigger sensors with much better still picture quality than the gh2 - but gh2 have much better 1080 image quality.

8. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    If you considered the g3, which doesn't have any manual controls in video mode, I imagine you don't do any pro work. Trust me, you won't make the difference between the g3 and gh2. For YouTube and vimeo both are great.

9. amanieux

amanieux Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 13, 2011
    where did you saw that g3 has no manual control (i could not find the g3 manual online) ?

if there is no manual mode,will a prime lens with manual focus and aperture force the g3 to just automatically choose the iso as the shutter speed is locked to 1/50 sec for filming ?

10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    the G2 apparently had limited manual modes... I hadn't realized this, drats. video isn't my focus, but it will limit what my brother may be able to borrow my camera for (coupled w/ his GH1).

11. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    you can force the aperture to stay where you want. It's up to the camera to choose the iso and the speed. For my YouTube needs gh2 was too much of a camera. Sold it and waiting for g3. Meanwhile I have a gh1 to play with. Great camera but I really prefer the g3's gh2's touch screen

12. brunerww

brunerww  

Mar 5, 2011
    Youry -- I had to comment on this because I see a lot of posts from old-timers* (mostly on still photography forums) about how 'useless' touch screens are.

I love my GH2's touch screen too -- and will not buy another camera without it. I hope the camera manufacturers are listening.

Cheers,

Bill

*I'm an old-timer myself (bought my first SLR in the early '70s), so I can say that :smile: