Video of Panasonic-Leica 25mm rattlesnake

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by krugorg, Sep 28, 2011.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I had some time this morning to video the PL25 exhibiting the aperture clicking noise on my E-P3. It was a little before 9am, so the sun was low. I was on my deck, mostly shaded, with some light punching through the nearby trees.

I did my best to keep the lens shaded while taking the video (from my wife's E-PL3). The E-P3 was set to A mode, stopped down to f4. Not meant to be a detailed scientific analysis - just wanted to give an idea of what this sounds like.

The first video just shows the environment and the second is of the E-P3 with PL25. Sorry for the amateur video and background noise - neighbor mowing and busy roadway nearby.

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="425" height="240" src=""></iframe>

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="425" height="240" src=""></iframe>

I ended up deciding I could live with this feature given the great IQ. I will keep it mostly indoors and use outside at night (and if I use during the day, lens cap it is).

[cross post - also in 20 versus 25mm thread]
    • Like Like x 4
  2. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Wow that's pretty loud. Send the lens to me right away and I'll make sure you never hear that sound again ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

This Lens is Defective

There's no way I would own that thing. IQ be danged. I'll just go on pooting about with my little ole 14/42. :mad:
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Ouch. Thanks so much for posting that video! You really do need to hear it to believe it.
  5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    The original 4/3 version also did that on my Olympus bodies. Not as loud as that though. That's pretty bad.

Good job at demonstrating the problem by the way. Thanks for posting this. I think a lot of buyers will want to watch this first.

6. chrith

chrith Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2010
    i think the smoke monster from lost is trapped in your lens
    • Like Like x 1
  7. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I meant to also post this video on how to deal with the rattlesnake:

[ame=]Bobcat Vs. Huge Rattlesnake HD - 1080p - YouTube[/ame]

:biggrin: Of course, there are work arounds when out in daylight.... AEL, half shutter, lens cap.

:rofl: I bet I can't hear it from NJ!

I am lame, never got started on Lost. Hmmmm... netflix queue is fairly empty right now.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Uggghhhhh... that is really annoying. Even worse than having to punch a button every 108 minutes.

(Where is John Locke when we really need him?)

Namaste and
  9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Great video of the bobcat and rattlesnake. You were definitely in the right place at the right time.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:
  10. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks, but I cannot take credit for the wildlife video. But yeah, totally cool that they were there at the right time!
  11. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

The sound is reminiscent of "My Friend Flicka" noises ... Maybe it's less annoying if you think of it as friendly dolphin rather than a ready to pounce rattler? :rolleyes:
  12. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    thats too loud.. Thinking twice now if im getting PL25.
  13. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Uh ..... Flicka was a horse.:wink:
  14. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Dang, I was thinking of "Flipper!" :biggrin:
  15. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    Couple of things:

1. Don't shoot video in aperture priority mode. Observe the 180 degree shutter rule; i.e. shooting @ 30fps, set shutter to 60, 24p, 48, etc. Try to shoot in full manual if you can. At least this is what I've read; what do I know.

2. It barely makes that noise on Panny bodies. Well the Gh2/Gf2 that I've tried.

16. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks for the tips, Shawn. I shot the video from an E-PL3, which was not in A priority mode.

In manual mode on the E-P3 the rattlesnake does happen, but not as frequently. I think I have tried every other setting... the only thing that really works is to hold AEL or half shutter between shots, or use a lens cap while walking around outside during daytime.

Based on the Soundimageplus review, the noise is supposed to happen a lot less on the G3.
  17. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Does the PL25 make the noise on all Oly bodies? That seems like a deal breaker if one uses a Pen ...
  18. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Wow that's pretty loud... never thought it could be that bad. :mad:

The 20mm's rattlesnake is the loudest that I would tolerate. This seems significantly louder/worse.
  19. gongism

gongism New to Mu-43

Mar 17, 2010
    I use PL 25 with my E-P3. I have a trick to stop the rattlesnake noise. When you have the rattlesnake noise problem, unmount a lens and mount it again. I've found out that it can solve the problem. Please give it a try and share what's your result..
  20. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    If someone would please send me a PL25, I'll definitely give it a try on my EP3!! :smile: