Video mode for E-M5 exposure control

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gotak, Mar 3, 2013.

1. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Toronto
    How does exposure control works exactly on the OM-D?

What I means is you can tell it A, P, S and M but as far as I can tell I can't change exposure settings once recording starts. I mean I set it to M video mode and the end result is still no exposure control during recording.

Am I missing something?

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Are you wanting to manually change the exposure during recording? or are you wanting to stop the camera from automatically changing the exposure?

I am not sure you can manually change it while recording. I do know that when you use a photo mode M,A,S, or P for video that the camera will automatically adjust the exposure. If you shoot video in Movie Mode and have it set to manual then it will not adjust the exposure.

So if you want to shoot video on an Olympus camera and not have the auto exposure you have to be in movie mode{on the mode dial} with the movie mode set to manual{in the menu}. To get to the movie mode in the menu you have to have the gears on and then go to "movie"{it is letter "i" on my PENs}then set it to "M".

3. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Toronto
    I think that answers it. When you start recording you can't change the settings even though it's in M video mode.

That's an interesting design decision. So for any 1 continuous shot you'd have to either use one of the auto/semi-auto modes. Or get yourself a variable ND filter...

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Or get a camcorder! Even then only higher end camcorders will allow manual changes during recording. The E-M5 is a stills camera that can shoot video and not a video camcorder! I think the Panasonic GH2/3 allow manual adjustment but I am not 100%{can anybody verify this?}{maybe other Pany models?}. Panasonic puts more value on video than Olympus does.

Professionals "rack" aperture on a lens with an external aperture ring. This is why cine lenses have clickless apertures with geared rings. It is super tricky to get it right BTW! Much harder than adjusting focus manually during a shot. The other option is to use a variable ND filter as you suggested.