1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Video frame rate hack

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Danny_SWE, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I read something very interesting, there is a hack for newer Panasonic bodies (G7, GX80...) that enables 30 fps in 4k video. That is more suitable for viewing on LCD because it is mostly 60 Hz on the screens. So now there is a way to change that:

Step 1
    Set your camera to P (or auto) mode and switch it off

Step 2
    Press the following buttons at the same time and while doing so, turn the camera on. The buttons are [right (WB) ], [disp.] and [AF/AE lock].

/Edit: On the GX80 it is: The buttons are [right (WB) ], [playback] and [AF/AE lock].

It will take a bit of thumb twisting but it’s doable.

Step 3
    When the camera turns on, press the green [playback] button.

Step 4
    While in playback press [up (ISO)] and [AF/AE lock] at the same time and while doing so, turn off the camera.

If everything went correctly it will display a yellow exclamation mark while turning off.

That should be it!

The source for this information was this page, read here for alot of other good information regarding this!
    Panasonic G7 25FPS to 30FPS - Intermittent Technology

And it seems he got the information from a video:

/edit: I have tested on a GX80 and it works!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. rico7578

rico7578 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 9, 2016
    Does it unlock the 30min recording limit also, as on american NTSC models (GX85) ?

3. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I don't know, but he says something about that in the video. Don't use to record so many minutes at the time myself :)

4. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

On the GX85, the record limit is imposed for sensor temperature considerations. I can tell you, from very reliable sources, that using that "hack" will reset a flag that service will immediately detect. It gets you into a service mode from which its very easy to do some serious damage, camera calibration being the least of your worries. Most important, it will immediately void your warranty. Be careful!

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Tried this a little on my GX80 and it works good, but I was a little annoyed of the exlamation mark every time you shut down the camera, so here is a method to revert this.

Basically the method above sets the camera to temporarily "no model" (or something like that) thus the exlamation mark. And it is thought that one should continue with selecting a model suffix, so that is what to do now.

You can find it on the camera box sticker, for example my swedish model is "DMC-GX80KECS", so EC is the suffix I will chose later (K for black, S for sweden I assume. And EC for European Community maybe, just assumptions).

You will have model suffixes based on what region you bought the camera in (different PCB's). Based on choices you have you might not be able to set a NTSC-model! (like we would want).

But anyway, to continue to the method, make sure you have a fully charged battery before you proceed.

Put camera in [P]-mode and Turn on.

Hold [MENU/SET] & [ RIGHT] turn power off.

You will now get to "Initial settings menu".

Press [DISP] to cancel "Strict" mode (the text "Strict" will disappear).

If you would like to cancel this process just press [ LEFT] and the camera will shut down without any change.

Chose model suffix that you previously have looked up. Press [ RIGHT]

Press [ RIGHT] Confirm model suffix. (if you get "ERROR 0A" you have not cancelled "strict" mode)

Now the camera shuts off and displays the "Lumix" logo and it's done! You will have to set language/time/region when starting up.

(You can repeat this process if you want, I mean, setting the camera to "no model" to be able to use NTSC-modes, and then this again)