Video focusing problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by (G), Aug 6, 2012.

1. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    I gave my OM-D a good workout this past week, being out of town at a convention and shooting a lot of stills and video. The camera was stellar with the stills.

Video was another story. I used the "Movie" setting on the dial, and had set the camera up for Continuous Auto Focus (C-AF). Many of my videos that were shot while walking down a hallway were out of focus, as if the camera had locked itself on something near, then stayed there, rather than focusing on what was in front of it, 50 feet down the hallway. I found I had to continually keep pressing the photo shutter button halfway to get the camera to refocus.

I tried using Continuous Auto Focus plus tracking (C-AF+T), but that seemed worse, since the camera would lock on to something (e.g. someone walking toward me) and continue to focus on that, rather than focusing on something in the middle of the screen as I would have preferred.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any suggestions for settings or a fix?
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    In general, in professional video and film making they don't use autofocus at all... with little domestic camcorders the smallness of the sensor and the larger DOF make autofocus easier.

I will stick generally to SF, composing my picture before hitting the record button. This way I can control what is focussed on.. I sometimes focus on the subject I want to end my shot on, then pan away start recording and pan 'into' my subject

hope this helps

3. gordon1000

gordon1000 New to Mu-43

Jul 31, 2012
    Check focus box

Check if you are using single focus box also make sure it is located where your subject is. You might also want to try and reduce the size of the focus box by increasing the magnification level. Lastly turn off face detection.

Hope these helps. BTW, E-M5's C-AF hunts a bit.