1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Video focus mode - CAF makes a noise

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Growltiger, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    What is the best focus mode for video?
    C-AF makes a noise that is picked up by the microphone (on an E-M1). (I've checked and it is the focussing, not IBIS).
    Also, C-AF doesn't seem to work well in low light.
    Best to stick to S-AF+Manual?

2. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Manual is good, but I have used CAF with my EP5 and the kit zooms which are very quite, the 12-35 & 35-100 are very quite on my Gx8 as is the PL100-400. which lens are you using?

3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Are you sure it's not the chattering aperture blades?
    Also, in the E-M1 in Menu *D, do you have Flicker Reduction changed from (default) Auto to Off? In normal shooting if set to Auto or On it can cause chattering in the aperture as it is constantly changing for the light & maybe it may make a difference in video as well.

4. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I tried several lenses: 7-14, 9-18, 12-40, 75-300 (all Olympus). The noise is very quiet, but it is just audible. If you put your ear near the lens you can hear the difference between S-AF (silent) and C-AF (ticking).

5. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Changing the one setting from C-AF to S-AF silences it, so it does seem to be that. Try putting your ear next to the lens.
    I tried turning off Flicker Reduction but it made no difference.
    I used A mode but it made no difference.
    You won't hear the sound except in a very silent place.

• Like Like x 1
  6. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I normally use a tascam D60 with a Rhode Mic and then use Plural eyes to sync the video if I need perfect sound.