1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Video Fluid Head for small camera

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Rider, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Right now I am trying the Manfroto HDV701. I think it's very smooth. The only problem I have with it is with the quick release plate. It's very big, and it's designed for a camcorder that is oriented in the opposite direction. As a result, it must be mounted onmy E-PL1 along the lens axis (front to back). It would not fit with a big lens (I suppose I could use a spacer to make it fit). Also, because of its orientation, I would not leave it on the camera. Hence, it's not really a "quick release".

Anyone know of a better fluid head?

2. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Found a solution. Will post later.

3. Jackson Miller

Jackson Miller Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 29, 2010
    Let us know what you went with. Technically the hdv701 is not a fluid head at all no matter what people say. the 503 is but it is huge. I think the 501 kinda is but is not that good. The 503 and 501 are ginormous though as all fluid heads are. You could get the 717ah (weifeng or something). I just got one as a backup tripod. it's ok. But what I would do is buy a cheaper PHOTO quick release adapter with a TINY plate and just mount that on top of the manfrotto plate. Problem solved! A circular plate might be the best.

4. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    I got the HDV701; it is very nice with a small camera. I had read that the 501 is not a fluid head, but that the 701 in fact does have fluid cartridges. Manfrotto isn't very good at revealing stuff.

For the quick release, I went with a pricey solution. I got an Acratech plate that's custom made for the PENs and a small Kirk clamp. Works pretty nicely.

5. tamoio

tamoio Mu-43 Regular

Unfortunately good pan-tilt heads are never small. The Manfrotto 503 is about as good a head as you will find for the money. The Manfrotto QR plate for the 503 is a problem with still cameras-I find it often interferes when you mount bigger lenses. What is needed is a spacer on the base of the camera (I keep waiting for Panasonic to introduce an external battery-vertical grip for the GH1 but I don't think its going to happen). Of the other small pan-tilt heads I am familiar with by Miller, Sachtler and Vinton, there are none that are physically smaller or have easier to use QR plates. Cinema/Video QR plates are generally meant to be big, sturdy and secure..