1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Video Fluid Head for small camera

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Rider, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Right now I am trying the Manfroto HDV701. I think it's very smooth. The only problem I have with it is with the quick release plate. It's very big, and it's designed for a camcorder that is oriented in the opposite direction. As a result, it must be mounted onmy E-PL1 along the lens axis (front to back). It would not fit with a big lens (I suppose I could use a spacer to make it fit). Also, because of its orientation, I would not leave it on the camera. Hence, it's not really a "quick release".

Anyone know of a better fluid head?

2. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Found a solution. Will post later.

3. Jackson Miller

Jackson Miller Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 29, 2010
    Let us know what you went with. Technically the hdv701 is not a fluid head at all no matter what people say. the 503 is but it is huge. I think the 501 kinda is but is not that good. The 503 and 501 are ginormous though as all fluid heads are. You could get the 717ah (weifeng or something). I just got one as a backup tripod. it's ok. But what I would do is buy a cheaper PHOTO quick release adapter with a TINY plate and just mount that on top of the manfrotto plate. Problem solved! A circular plate might be the best.

4. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    I got the HDV701; it is very nice with a small camera. I had read that the 501 is not a fluid head, but that the 701 in fact does have fluid cartridges. Manfrotto isn't very good at revealing stuff.

For the quick release, I went with a pricey solution. I got an Acratech plate that's custom made for the PENs and a small Kirk clamp. Works pretty nicely.

5. tamoio

tamoio Mu-43 Regular

Unfortunately good pan-tilt heads are never small. The Manfrotto 503 is about as good a head as you will find for the money. The Manfrotto QR plate for the 503 is a problem with still cameras-I find it often interferes when you mount bigger lenses. What is needed is a spacer on the base of the camera (I keep waiting for Panasonic to introduce an external battery-vertical grip for the GH1 but I don't think its going to happen). Of the other small pan-tilt heads I am familiar with by Miller, Sachtler and Vinton, there are none that are physically smaller or have easier to use QR plates. Cinema/Video QR plates are generally meant to be big, sturdy and secure..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.