Video Files From GH2

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by StudioHeraBell, Mar 11, 2011.

1. I have a question.

How do you open on your PC video files coming out of GH2?

Which program are you using to edit them?

Thanks,

Hera

2. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Since you specify PC, I'll say that I use Vegas Pro on the PC. I use the import tool to pull the AVCHD files in and concatenate them into a usable single file (I typically shoot long - >90 minute videos).

For the Mac, I've been using (and loving) Final Cut Pro using their "Log and Transfer" option.

FWIW, I have an octo-core homemade PC with 32 Gigs of RAM using Vegas Pro 9. My MacBookPro with dual core i7 and 8 gigs of RAM blows the Octo-core PC out of the water with real-time editing and effects. As for rendering, the PC wins by only a little.

Cheers!
    Jeremy

• Like Like x 1
  3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    That's good to know. I've got an older Core 2 Duo iMac and older Core 2 Macbook Pro and they struggle converting AVCHD to AIC. Hoping that the newer i7 architecture makes things less painful...

4. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Video editing using AVCHD has been a MAJOR pain in the butt and a heck of a learning curve. Rending files, even on my powerhouse machines, is an exercise in extreme patience!

Rending a 90 minute shoot for 1080P output (web or BluRay) will take the better part of an entire day! I'm sure I don't have to tell you how frustrating it is to render a file for 16 hours just to preview the massive file output and see that audio slipped synch in the middle and you have to re-edit and re-render through 2 processes! (I use an intermediate codec out of FCP then pull into Compressor and re-render to my final output file type. It's a little faster and allows me to continue to work in FCP while the file is rendering.)

My biggest concern is when I hear my fans going crazy in my MBP and the machine is smoking hot. I can just imagine 3-mile Island melting down on my lap when I'm pushing it too hard. I do run 4 compressor virtual processes - each one is hitting the processor between 100-180% for extended periods of time.

I foresee a quad core iMac or 8-core MacPro in the near future...

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Sorry to hijack the thread, Hera, but this may be as good a place as any to discuss the horsepower required to process AVCHD...

For sure. I was trying to post some video footage soon after a press event and it was a big headache getting them rendered. Had two MBPs running hot and it still was slow. I had considered recording MPEG instead of AVCHD and may seriously consider that in the future - even though MPEG files are much much bigger and lower rez.

The new i7 MBPs are benchmarking really well. I think there's a new Intel graphics subsystem that's really boosting performance - almost on par with well-specced iMacs. In any case, I think we'll need a big leap in performance to handle AVCHD quickly.

6. Guys don't stop, I love reading everything.

7. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    It's all about putting the video in an editable format. AVCHD is so compressed it is necessary to convert it to something that can be easily manipulated. The question is do you have something that will take care of that for you. I used to use an older final cut express with AIC based HD editing (on a G5), but I have a new computer with just iMovie for the time being (a 3Ghz i3).

You set your project size (full hd or reduced quality for DVD web which is more managable on slow systems too), and it takes care of the rest.

I tried using sony vegas, but it lacked any obvious way to re-encode the video because it was far too much for the PC it was on to edit in real time in the native MP4. Depending on your setup, if you re-encode files to larger file sizes it really helps. Handbrake and ffmpeg are to that spring to mind. They have a learning curve, but are easy to use once you get the hang of transcoding files.

8. I tested something, I can import the files to ProShow Producer, but I can't cut them or do havy video editing on them. I can change brigthness colors hue and contrats. I can overide sound by adding music etc.

9. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Vegas Pro really is a good way to go for PC. It's pricey, but not that bad considering all that it gives you. You can work with it in an intermediate codec. As pointed out, AVCHD is way to intensive to edit in real time as is. By using the log and transfer option in Final Cut Pro, it creates an Apple Pro Res file. On PC (and on Mac), I've used Cineform to transform the CODEC to something more manageable. Bear in mind, the file sizes of intermediate codecs can be very, very large. For a 90 minute video project, I would anticipated 750GB of file storage space. A good, external 7200 FW hard drive would be a welcome addition.

Cheers-
    J.

10. mcsires

mcsires New to Mu-43

Mar 20, 2011
    las vegas, nv
    I just started with my GH2 and AVCHD. I am a video editor, and have used an HDV camera (sony hvr-z1u) so going to this new format has been interesting, but a very pleasant upgrade from hdv. that being said, i found an article you might like.. How to Edit AVCHD Video Files - High-Definition HD Video Editing

My suggestion is to try Vegas Studio. NAB season is here, so look for deals.

11. mcsires

mcsires New to Mu-43

Mar 20, 2011
    las vegas, nv
    one quick upgrade that will help almost any system: solid state disc drives. i just did that with my 2yo machine, and it started smokin! (figuratively speaking, that is). if you can afford it, get two minimum, or three: one for op system, one for program, and one for files. i have two now, and the diff is amazing.

12. tamoio

tamoio Mu-43 Regular

Adobe Premier Pro CS5 (CS5 Production Bundle) on a custom built (by me)workstation:

Antec case
    Asus P6t mobo
    INTEL i7 980
    Corsair 750w PS
    12gb Corsair RAM
    Asus Nvidia gtx470 gpu
    win7 64b
    seagate system and media drives 3TB total

this system has been up and running since early November, I edit on it daily. Ingests, and cuts AVCHD including GH1/GH2 material natively and effortlessly. As I write this I should be editing on the project before me . . .so its time to go but before I do:

I hear a lot of folks whining about problems with AVCHD, you really need an up-to-date system particularly the multi core CPU (read Intel I7 series) as far as I can tell (and I have associates working on full featured AVID media composer systems) the Adobe CS5 solution is a great value but you have to pay careful attention to the hardware requirements, AVCHD is processor intensive. I use PS and Aftereffects so much in my work that it was very easy for me to shift from AVID to Adobe once the CS5 version demonstrated it was capable.

13. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    I have a Mac Pro (2Gz x 4 cores) and 9GB of Ram. I also use Adobe Premier and Aftereffects (vs FCP) as I tend to do various special effects.

Is that powerful enough for AVCHD from the GH2 and should I first re-encode the video to a more usable format (like what?) before working on it to get faster rendering times?

In the Past I have been using my Nikon D90 which exports Motion JPEG in an avi wrapper.

14. M. Kiwi Blanc-Jaune

M. Kiwi Blanc-Jaune New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2011
    France
    While reading this conversation, the question that come to my mind is what codecs do you reencode your AVCHD into, and on which criteria do you choose them ?

MKBJ.