Video editing workflow/software

5thTo2nd

New to Mu-43
Now that I've got some good HD video files from my GF3 I'd like to start to work with them. What software is everyone here using and can someone share their general workflow with MTS/AVCHD files? (e.g. do people generally keep the files in this format or convert to something else?) I'm new to working with this file type and it's not exactly user-friendly. I only plan on archiving the files for later playback, so something that keeps the quality, but saves on file size would be good.

I basically need the software to trim parts of the videos and to retain the video quality as I've noticed that some programs will lower the quality. If it can also auto-enhance things like color and shake then even better. I realize Vegas and Premier do these things but I'm looking for something free. Does windows movie maker work?

I did try out vReveal upon a recommendation but after installing it I think it does downgrade the video quality.

Thanks!

battleaxe

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Right now I am using Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum(v.10 I think). I really like Vegas more than iMovie for OSX, can't say vs FCE, or Adobe Premier as I haven't had a lot of seat time with them. Not sure about free software, but I am sure you can pick a copy of an older version of Vegas Movie Studio for 20 or under on ebay or Amazon, unused. Something maybe to think about.

As for quality I know with Vegas, and Premier you have a lot of quality options that are customizeable(to a certain point). For what I do, the quality of the after edit is a bit worse than the original files. The quality difference isn't that noticeable, and I am sure if I did some adjustments the quality would improve.

sprinke

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Debi
I use a Mac, so I can't help you with software choices (I just use iMovie), but I can tell you that I archive in MTS format, even the clips that I never use in editing. While editing, iMovie converts to a different format, which gets HUGE, so I move those off my HD as soon as possible when I'm finished editing.

5thTo2nd

New to Mu-43
Thank you for your replies.

I'm having some luck with Windows Live Movie Maker. It allows me to trim and even adjust the brightness a bit. It converts to WMV but the video looks like it's shrunken down in size when viewed in fullscreen.

I'm going to keep experimenting with converters and settings.

Latest threads

Top Bottom