1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Video editing software for GH2?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mgrmgr, May 16, 2011.

1. mgrmgr

mgrmgr Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011
    My GH2 which arrives today or tomorrow will be used mostly for stills (I'm a retired professional still photographer), but the video capabilities are a nice addition that I will use occasionally. Never used video editing software and am looking for recommendations.

On Amazon, Premiere Elements 9, which I was thinking of getting, has almost as many negative reviews as positive. :frown: So, I'm looking for recommendations.

While money is not a serious issue, I suspect one of the basic Elements-level programs will do well enough for my needs, unless there are performance and reliability issues that make going full price worth it.

Thanks, _/\/\ichael{R}

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Can you please include details about your operating system and computer?

3. mgrmgr

mgrmgr Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011
    Ahhh...foolish forgetful me! :frown:

I'm running Windows 7 on a custom AVADirect machine with a mildly overclocked INTEL i7-870 Quad-Core and 16GB of RAM. In case it matters, the graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 580.

Thanks, _/\/\ichael{R}

4. Van

Van Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2011
    Well, the long answer is something along the lines of "it depends on your needs" and "every program has it's pluses and minuses" and "download trials of everything and spend six months evaluating every system".

The short answer is whatever I'm using. So, that'd be Sony Vegas Pro if I'm on windows. Or, perhaps Vegas Movie Studio for your needs.

Links:
    Vegas Pro
    Vegas Movie Studio

5. mgrmgr

mgrmgr Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011
    All I need for now is something basic, if I get deeply involved later I can get one of the higher end editing systems. From a growing thread on the DPReview Micro Four Thirds Forum and from reading various review sites, I'm going to start with Cyberlink's PowerDirector 9 Ultra - 64...and keep my fingers crossed.

Scratching my head and gritting my teeth! :eek: Michael{R}

6. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    you got quite a few replies on DPReview! As for me, I think I'll just try out the Windows Movie Maker as I'm not expecting movies to be a major part of my GH2 activity --but you never know...

David

7. mgrmgr

mgrmgr Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011
    You may be wise in that choice. My mind said "Aw, it's free so it can't be any good." But after reading your message, I took a look at several reviews and I guess I shudda saved myself some money (already Amazon'd a copy of PD9Ultra) and at least have given Movie Maker a first try.

Hmm...I can always return PD when it gets here.

Thanks for posting that. Michael{R}