video capture and editing

Discussion in 'Video Post-Production' started by Praki, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Praki

Praki New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Hello Forum members:

I recently bought a GH-1 and GF-1 and shot some video with them. I have Adobe Premiere Pro running on a Mac. The video is of a training film for conservation non-profits that will be used on a DVD player both for PAL and NTSC (i.e. US and some countries in Asia). At some places they will be seen on a computer connected to a projector. I have to edit the video and burn the edited version on DVDs. I am trying to get information regarding:

1. The best way (in terms of time and cost) to capture and convert the GH1 and GF1 video on a Mac into a format that can be easily edited by the Adobe software

2. Best way (format) of outputting the video from Adobe Premiere Pro to be able to run on a DVD player for both PAL and NTSC systems. Same so it can be run of a PC or a Mac.

I have tried to get this info by looking at books in the library but it is difficult to get this info in a few books and it is confusing for a non-pro. So if you can help, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Praki.

2. bethmcmillen2@mac.com

bethmcmillen2@mac.com Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 5, 2010
    Mena, AR
    Video Capturing & Editing

From your post I assume you are using a mac. The easiest way is to continue with mac software, final cut pro, final cut express, or imovie.

Using either program can then be burned onto a dvd. You probably already have imovie on your computer. Final Cut, as you know, are separate programs you purchase.

I work in the broadcasting department of our local community college and do video and editing, using Final Cut Pro. If you do not want to purchase Final Cut you might want to try Imovie. It is very easy to use, does a good job and you will be able to burn it to a dvd.

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    You should have iMovie on your mac, I would start there. If not you can purchase it from the App Store.

Also make sure you have a lot of spare disc space - video files can get very big

K