1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Video Artifacts: exposure fluctuations and flickering.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Cornelius, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Cornelius

Cornelius Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2013
    I'm at a loss with this camera. Can someone help me figure out why this unit is doing this? It just doesn't seem right at all.
    In the linked clip, you'll see the subject exposed brighter than the background. You'll see almost a square of light around the figure.
    There is also some flickering on the stone. I have another clip where there is an imprint, a ghosting effect after my subject exits the frame. I have noticed a lot of strange, fluctuating exposure issue when videoing. How could they get this so wrong?

http://youtu.be/NK571QRouH4

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I find with video it helps to reduce contrast, sharpness, saturation to minimum, set color mode to muted (or natural), and most importantly, turn auto gradation off.

The Olympus color and gradation special sauce is really not designed for video...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cornelius

Cornelius Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2013
    Thanks. I wish there was a primer on everything you need to know on shooting video with the EM-5. It's not as straightforward as I imagined.

4. Cornelius

Cornelius Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2013
    Just wanted to update this. After some further research I found that some of the issues I was experiencing were related to settings on my own PC.
    I downloaded a video codec pack to ensure I had things covered. And then, the weirdest thing, I made sure that windows 7 had aero desktop effects enabled. This solved the issue of screen-tearing and improved video performance playback. Go figure...