Victory Garden? Why not?

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
A very popular idea in WWII, but why not now? People are worried about food shortages and transmitting germs. I always know exactly who has handled my food when I grow it myself. I made this poster up from an original WWII poster for another forum as a joke so it's a bit tongue-in-cheek, but why not push this idea? The food is better for you anyway.

For the first time in years I didn't start my own plants. I usually start about 30 tomato and another 25 or so various peppers. This year I had planned to cut back, but will pick up a half-dozen tomato and maybe a dozen green pepper and a few jalapeno. I'll also do squash, cucumber, pole beans and maybe some pumpkin.

49738326481_c955d9c671_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
VIRUS GARDEN by telecast, on Flickr

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Okay, hoping to discover and plant cold weather crops starting today. I guess warm crops will come later. Now to find out what a cold weather crop is, and which ones I have seeds for.
Beans can be planted as soon as the soil hits 40 degrees. There are a lot of others. Roots crops are almost all ok in the cold. Some like turnips and beets loves the cold. Snap peas are especially suited. Buy some baby tomato plants if you don't want to start from seed and keep them indoors, they'll be a good size when you put them out. I usually start my plants 8 weeks before I want them outside, so just about now for me. I use Memorial Day weekend as my general guide. Check your grow zone for last frost dates.

Even if it's too early to plant, it's not too early to plan.

Go buy some seeds. I dare anyone in the government to declare food non-essential.

DefectiveMonk

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
We're planting one this year under the "just in case" policy. We have basically no idea what we're doing but we have gardening books, the internet, and shit-ton of time. Should be experts by the time we plant :laugh:

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For the last three years we have been out of the country during harvest time and every year have come back to rot. Last year we didn’t plant but asked our neighbour to harvest as many ? and ? as he liked. At least someone got to enjoy them. We had some rogue ? plants pop up and he enjoyed those as well.

This year we will be planting in our raised gardens again... beans, peas, ? , ? radish, and a few other things... and hope the rogue tomato plants arrive in time to get a harvest out of them later in the year. Garlic should be good and we’re hoping to be able to get some herbs going again.

Not enough to survive on but at least it will help liven up the frozen ? ? and sausages we’ll be switching back a forth between.

@Brownie nice on on the Victory Garden... That was Crockett wasn’t it? And didn’t he also have a TV show back in the 20th century? I wonder if there are any YouTube feeds of it hanging around?

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
@Brownie nice on on the Victory Garden... That was Crockett wasn’t it? And didn’t he also have a TV show back in the 20th century? I wonder if there are any YouTube feeds of it hanging around?

There was a mass movement here during WWII. Do a search for Victory Garden posters to see a whole bunch. This is the one I started with to make my version:

Grow-Your-Own.jpg

Mu-43 Legend
Yeah, I bought some seeds a few weeks ago. Had a similar thought, but we need raised beds here, so that needs to come first

Mu-43 Legend
BTW - I found my seeds at Home Depot after finding gardening stores closed

Last edited:

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
BTW - I found my seeds at Home Depot after finding gardening stores closed
FYI, Lowe's (if you have them there) is running sale that I happened into. Since I didn't start my own this year I went and bought plants. Their plants are all on sale. $3.78 tomatoes and peppers are $2.50.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
We're planting one this year under the "just in case" policy. We have basically no idea what we're doing but we have gardening books, the internet, and shit-ton of time. Should be experts by the time we plant :laugh:
It's not that hard. Pick up a book called Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew. It's not the do-all end-all, but it works and makes things very simple for someone just starting out. I still use a lot of these methods to this day. For instance, I plant a squash plant every square foot.

http://www.melbartholomew.com/

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
It's not that hard. Pick up a book called Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew. It's not the do-all end-all, but it works and makes things very simple for someone just starting out. I still use a lot of these methods to this day. For instance, I plant a squash plant every square foot.

http://www.melbartholomew.com/

I have that book.
I just have to find it. :confused:

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Aha! I knew this was lying around somewhere... I’m sure it’s been decades since we last opened it though.

5948128D-019A-4184-B310-7734AFC3E95D.jpeg

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
From our little raised bed vege garden on the verge. A few beetroot and a spring onion snuck in as well.

2020-04-03 08.19.34.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom