Viable alternative for the Oly 14-42 IIR ?

DlanorSekao

Mu-43 Rookie
Im somewhat new at the M43 system and currently have the Olympus 14-42 IIR lens as my only wider zoom.
My copy is 5 years old and I always found it to be quite capable , but always wished it was a bit wider.
Currently I have a new EM-10II and it came with a decent 40-150 R kit lens that Im happy with after extensive careful testing.

Just questioning if the G Vario 12-32 is a sharper lens than my 14-42 IIR ?
Is the G Vario 12-32 a viable option to my 14-42 IIR lens ?
Will I have any issues using it on the EM-10II ?
My budget only allows for used selections under $125 so Pro lenses and higher end stuff is simply out of the question.
One of the Photography Club members has a G Vario 12-32 that came with some Kit his wife bought that has never been used at all...$90 !
Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Keep an eye out for a used Panasonic-Lumix 12-60/3.5-5.6. I've not seen them at $125, but if you shop carefully, you might find a used one near your budget.
The P-Lumix 12-60 is my travel/light GP lens on my Olympus.

DlanorSekao

Mu-43 Rookie
I will keep this in mind. Didn't even know such a lens existed until now. Thanks.
Unfortunately its out of my budget right now

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
The Olympus 12-50 EZ ED goes down to 12mm ; it's a bit dim at the long end (aperture is only 6.3@50) but this lens has most of the options usually found on pro lenses. It also has a macro mode. It's not the "best" lens in any sense, but it's really a jack of all trades, and you can get one for ~ 100 € (and certainly about the same in USD). It's also weather sealed etc.
M.

DlanorSekao

Mu-43 Rookie
The Olympus 12-50 EZ ED goes down to 12mm ; it's a bit dim at the long end (aperture is only 6.3@50) but this lens has most of the options usually found on pro lenses. It also has a macro mode. It's not the "best" lens in any sense, but it's really a jack of all trades, and you can get one for ~ 100 € (and certainly about the same in USD). It's also weather sealed etc.
M.
Thanks ! I looked quite a bit at this one , but its kinda BIG ! That gets out of the compactness Im looking for.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago
For the price you can't beat the panny 12-32 IMHO. It's very compact at the wide end and often sells new here (removed from kit boxes for around Aus $180 (US$120) It is a very capable performer at the wide end with the benefit of a close focus of .66ft.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Wild Flower (2) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr
Nudgee College (2) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr
Brisbane River (2) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr
Sacred Heart Church Sandgate (2) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr
Bald Hills Creek Footbridge by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr
City Ferry by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr
Nissan Z370 by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
Yes - in my experience, the 12-32 is sharper. It's consistently sharp at all apertures and focal lengths, pretty much from corner to corner. And it's tiny! There aren't many lenses one can praise for all that. I almost never get a bad shot with it. It pairs very well with the 40-150 R, which I also have and like. Just be aware that the 12-32 lacks a manual focus ring and needs to be handled with care, as it's more fragile than your average lens. No big deal.

My new favorite standard travel zoom is the Lumix 12-60 for its range and sharpness. However, there are good reasons to stick with the 12-32, especially on your budget. The 12-32 autofocus is a bit more forgiving except at the extreme right edge (which is sometimes vulnerable to the effects of field curvature and some slight decentering). Again, nothing to be concerned about. It also doesn't need to be stopped down as much for best results.

DlanorSekao

Mu-43 Rookie
For the price you can't beat the panny 12-32 IMHO. It's very compact at the wide end and often sells new here (removed from kit boxes for around Aus $180 (US$120) It is a very capable performer at the wide end with the benefit of a close focus of .66ft.

View attachment 772355Wild Flower (2) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr
View attachment 772356Nudgee College (2) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr
View attachment 772357Brisbane River (2) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr
View attachment 772358Sacred Heart Church Sandgate (2) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr
View attachment 772359Bald Hills Creek Footbridge by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr
View attachment 772360City Ferry by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr
View attachment 772361Nissan Z370 by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr
Thanks for an informative Post ! I just called the people and told them I wanted the lens for $90 and ended up getting it for $80 !

DlanorSekao

Mu-43 Rookie
Yes - in my experience, the 12-32 is sharper. It's consistently sharp at all apertures and focal lengths, pretty much from corner to corner. And it's tiny! There aren't many lenses one can praise for all that. I almost never get a bad shot with it. It pairs very well with the 40-150 R, which I also have and like. Just be aware that the 12-32 lacks a manual focus ring and needs to be handled with care, as it's more fragile than your average lens. No big deal.

My new favorite standard travel zoom is the Lumix 12-60 for its range and sharpness. However, there are good reasons to stick with the 12-32, especially on your budget. The 12-32 autofocus is a bit more forgiving except at the extreme right edge (which is sometimes vulnerable to the effects of field curvature and some slight decentering). Again, nothing to be concerned about. It also doesn't need to be stopped down as much for best results.
Thanks ! I knew I would not be able to manual focus but that's OK. I jumped on it for $80 and feel its probably the right choice for me at the moment.

DlanorSekao

Mu-43 Rookie
Well....thanks for all the nice reply's above. Last night I went over and puicked up the Mint 12-32 for $80 and looked at a few images the lady had taken.
Quite satisfied after playing with it today for a few shots , and have about $180 left in my budget for one last lens !
Im really inclined to try for a Olympus M Zuiko 75-300 II version on Ebay , but have a feeling Im going to have to get Real Lucky at my price.....lol.

Last edited:
Im somewhat new at the M43 system and currently have the Olympus 14-42 IIR lens as my only wider zoom.
My copy is 5 years old and I always found it to be quite capable , but always wished it was a bit wider.
Currently I have a new EM-10II and it came with a decent 40-150 R kit lens that Im happy with after extensive careful testing.

My budget only allows for used selections under $125 so Pro lenses and higher end stuff is simply out of the question.
One of the Photography Club members has a G Vario 12-32 that came with some Kit his wife bought that has never been used at all...$90 !
Thanks for any suggestions.
The 12-32mm is an excellent lens -very sharp. $90 is a great deal. Get it. I own the 12-32mm and sold off my 14-42mm because I find 14mm not wide enough.

DlanorSekao

Mu-43 Rookie
The 12-32mm is an excellent lens -very sharp. $90 is a great deal. Get it. I own the 12-32mm and sold off my 14-42mm because I find 14mm not wide enough.
I grabbed it right up and actually only paid $80 ! The only thing that concerns me is it "Rattles" inside when I handle it ?
Images seem ok and tomorrow I give it a good "Test Run" and check the image quality out thoroughly.

DlanorSekao

Mu-43 Rookie
The "rattle" might be the OIS components floating around.
I hope it doesn't do it once its powered up on my EM10II ? Its a distinct sound yet still aggravating.......just a little concerned.
The lady I bought it from says it did it from day one and is probably the Lens OIS making the noise as you said.
I only seem to notice it while handling the lens so far.....will check tomorrow

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
I hope it doesn't do it once its powered up on my EM10II ? Its a distinct sound yet still aggravating.......just a little concerned.
The lady I bought it from says it did it from day one and is probably the Lens OIS making the noise as you said.
I only seem to notice it while handling the lens so far.....will check tomorrow
Power up the camera and listen.
Once powered up, the OIS components should stabilize.

Nikon VR lens instructions say to turn the lens VR off, before powering down the camera. Which I have never done.
Presumably that will lock the OIS components, rather than leave them floating.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom