1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

VF3, supposed to be more washed out than LCD?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by KBeezie, Oct 16, 2012.

1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    So I got the used VF3 today (the view seemed smaller than I expected).

I'm curious as to the display inside of the VF3, I also played with the color/brightness settings specific to the viewfinder, but I'm wondering is it normal for the EVF to appear more "washed out" so to speak than the E-P3's display?

I turned off liveview boost which also helps on the EVF side in terms of looking washed out, but when I playback pictures the LCD screen always seems nicer and clearer than the EVF (and yes I adjusted the diopeter so it was sharp), it's almost like I can see the roughness of the pixels in the EVF (as if I'm looking at my old Pentax K10d's LCD which isn't nearly as nice as the E-P3's)

Is this merely a OLED vs LCD issue?

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I think it's partially cause its the vf3 the vf2 gives a much cleaner crisper picture.

3. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Little bit of googling specifically on the terms "washed out", showed up a lot of complaints in that department with some unofficial comments by olympus reps simply stating it's the 'economy model' so some corners were cut.

On the plus side though, I paid about 130$ for it, so that's still over 100$ cheaper than what the VF2 would have cost. I mainly got it for focus assist/composition, as long as I can see the details and not worry bout the sun in my face it should be good.

Just needed to confirm that it's normal for the VF3 and not a lemon.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I think that's a big part of it. Even on my E-M5, the rear LCD tends to appear more saturated than the EVF. That's not necessarily a bad thing either - I find the EVF colors match the actual colors of the image more closely than the LCD.

5. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing

In my case the EVF isn't even close to the saturation of the image itself, especially if I were to view them on the computer and compare to what I see on the card thru the EVF. The OLED of course will be more vibrant than my own home computer LCD, but in terms of color accuracy it's pretty close, the EVF not even close.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My VF2 looks almost identical to the rear LCD on both my E-PL1 and E-PL2. In fact I think it is sharper in detail as I find it easier to manually focus with it. However any viewfinder is better than none{if you like viewfinders that is}.

7. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    VF2 is superior to the VF3 it would seem, also both the PL1 and PL2 are LCD displays (At around 460k I think) where as the E-P3 is OLED (614k). I think a VF2 would have been a better match, over a million dots and 1.5x magnification , where as this VF3 is smaller than that.

I tried using the VF mostly the other day but it was pretty difficult to really concentrate on versus the OLED display, guessing an eye cup would work better. So for now the VF3 seems to fill in specialized purposes such as situations where I must use eye-level or waist-level focusing with some additional stability on the camera, or if it's just way too bright outside to see what's on the screen.

Simply put I'm glad I paid bout 130$ for it rather than the full 160+ price.