VF2 settings

zorki1

Mu-43 Regular
How have you guys got your VF2 settings set as far as color temperature. Ive had mine only a few days and just played with it a little. My issue is stuff like concrete , a white flower, or sun on tree bark blows out. I use a polarizer so that could be a factor. It shows a scale in the menu settings but no numbers for temp to go with it. How would you set yours for bright daylight? Thanks

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
zork1, I'm sorry that I don't actually have my EVF anymore to look at but I don't recall mine looking odd at all. As a matter of fact, it looked fantastic! Let's see if we can get some other members to respond. Frankly, I don't even recall settings for the EVF other than diopter, but perhaps I'm misremembering?

Help will be on the way!

J. Allen

Mu-43 Regular
I haven't adjusted any settings with my vf-2 nor have I noticed anything being blown out. I'll check when I'm home. I'm guessing it's related to the filter.

zorki1

Mu-43 Regular
We have heavy overcast here today and rain predicted for the next couple of days so testing will have to wait. When I was trying it out looking at license plates of parked cars, the white of the plates was so blown I couldnt read the numbers, Ill ditch the polar and see what happens. Maybe I have a defective unit.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Yeah, I hope you don't have a defective unit. That's my concern, too. I know there are other members here who currently do have and use the EVF. I'm going to find one of them and rattle his or her "cage" to see if they can give you some helpful info, zork.

Andrew Riddell

Mu-43 Regular
Zorki1, the only controls on the VF-2 are the on/off button and the dioptre adjustment ring. Otherwise it just shows you exactly what you would otherwise see on the live view screen.

I suggest checking whether the problem shows up on the live view screen as well. If it does, the problem is somewhere in the camera settings and, if it doesn't, you may have a problem with the VF-2.

Let us know how you get on.

Andrew

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
but there is a setting for the VF display including brightness & colour temp etc buried in the menus.
So if Zorki1 has tried modifying those and still has a problem, perfectly possible that it is a defective unit (mine does not blow highlights like this and my temp/brightness VF settings are default)

DDG

Mu-43 Regular
I've experienced the same thing, and at least one other person posted a thread about the brightness of the VF-2. That gave me the impression that it's just the nature of the device. In sunshine, or even bright overcast conditions, the more brightly-lit parts of leaves have a whitish cast on them when viewed through the finder. I've turned the brightness control down to it's lower limit (-7), and leaves still had a whitish cast.

All that said, I don't find it to be a huge problem, because the too-bright highlights don't show up in the pictures, and you do have the histogram and (especially) the highlight/shadow displays at your disposal.

zorki1

Mu-43 Regular
Even though its heavy overcast out, I gave it another try. I dont think I have a defective unit anymore, I think it is the nature of the beast. The real problem I was having was using the magnifier like on those white license plates, that was magnifying the blow out. Removing the polarizer helped also, I switched on the live view boost and that helped again as it would brighten the scene overall diminishing the blowouts. i have to wait for sunshine now but I think I will be able to make it more controlable. Im also going to switch to another polarizer just to see if maybe it was adding a bunch of glare on those areas. Thanks for the help, I'll post my findings the next sunny day.

zorki1

Mu-43 Regular
Issue resolved, heres what was happening. I was using an adapted lens,Takumar 55mm, with a polarizer . I kept it stopped down to f8.That with the combination of the polarizer wasnt letting enough light in for the sensor to balance the scene. The whites and reflections were hot and the rest of the scene subdued. We have sunshine today so I tried it all out. The live view boost did the trick,balanced the scene and no blowout like before. There is still some minor areas which are bright but thats just the nature of the electronics and it is very minimal. I left the other VF2 settings at default.

DDG

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for the info. I had tried a few different combinations of brightness and color temp, but I didn't think about the live view boost.

Latest threads

Top Bottom