1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

VF2 or VF3???

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Jan 27, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yes, I've had both of these, and yes, I should be able to decide, but I just can't, and I want to get the rebate, so I need to order today.

I need a VF for my E-PL5 (with large grip) for when I shoot with the 100-300.

VF3: CHEAP! good enough for framing. Locks on. A bit smaller.
    VF2: Can better MF with legacy lenses (FD 50, Fujian, CV40 are my legacy lenses). But bigger, doesn't lock on, about $100 more.

Ugh! Which one??

Any help in the form of dope-slaps is greatly appreciated.

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No question IMO... VF2 I use viewfinder a lot and I would rather have the better quality view.

I use a lenskeeper 2 to keep the VF2 tethered to the camera incase it gets knocked off. I'm actually quite surprised that Olympus hasn't updated the VF2 to include a lock.... its pretty fundamental problem AND they already solved it on a "cheaper" version.

3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    As per Ned, I chose the VF2. I believe Ned speaks highly of both models.

4. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    I bought the VF-3 for my E-PL5. But, now I wish I had the VF-2. At $250 for the VF-2, it was hard to justify buying an EVF for almost half of what the E-PL5 cost. But, now... :confused:

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    The lack of a locking mechanism on my VF-2 has never bothered me. :smile:

6. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    This probably isn't much help but I decided on the VF-2 for my E-PL5 and ordered yesterday to make the rebate deadline as well. I based my decision on:
    VF-2
    PROS higher resolution, bigger view, supposedly better color quality, similar specs to OM-D VF, comes in black to match my camera
    CONS No Lock button, larger unit
    VF-3
    PROS smaller, lock button
    CONS - lower resolution/smaller view, silver

In the end the higher on-paper specs of the VF-2 won out, hopefully it fits my E-PL5 securely and the lack of lock button will be a non-issue.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think I can still buy now (from Amazon) and get the rebate

8. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah you should be good as long as your Amazon invoice is marked with time of purchase 01.27.13 . I got my VF-2 there as well b/c black was sold out everywhere else.

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    OK. I got the VF2. Thanks for the kick in the pants to get me over the fence.

10. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Great, now you can join the "noseprint-on-my-LCD" crowd!

• Like Like x 1
  11. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    I got my VF-2 about a month ago and it is on there very securely. I would not be concerned because it doesn't lock. The VF-2 is not going to just fall off.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

12. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I was wondering about this. I (like many apparently) just picked up the vf-2 and although I haven't had a chance to take it "out" much yet, it seems like you really have to yank it to get it off.

13. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    But that's all LCD's are good for anyway! :biggrin:

14. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    I just got the VF-3 for my E-PL2, and wow, what a difference it makes in the overall shooting experience. It transforms your PEN into a serious picture-making machine. Better than my D5100 in that I have all my shooting info within the viewfinder (most appreciated is the live histogram), and better than the EVF on the Fuji X-E1 that I had tested in that the VF-3 has zero lag when panning.

The display is bright and crisp and I can now use the fly-by-wire manual focusing on my 20 1.7 much more easily and accurately.

VF-2 or VF-3, if you have a PEN and you are coming off a DSLR like I am, I highly recommend getting the EVF. :thumbup:

15. cprevost

cprevost Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    The viewfinder is one of those accessories like a tripod that you need when you need. It's made my ep3 infinitely more usable. Outdoors in bright light is no problem now and I like shooting with an eye level finder instead of Frankenstein arming it. It's a nice trick that you can remove the viewfinder any time you want and save the space. Wouldn't use a Pen without one.

16. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    According to the rumor site, the VF3 just saw a MAJOR price cut in Japan. Hopefully a similar huge cut will happen here in the US.

17. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am hoping they have a sale on the vf2s soon.. i need a 2nd VF in my camera bag.. currently have a vf3 and vf2 with 3 bodies! :)

18. Gazman

Gazman New to Mu-43

Feb 23, 2013
  19. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I just got my VF-3 yesterday!

20. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge
    I use a piece of double sided to keep the vf2 in place. I use it all the time and imo it's a must have. I adore it!

That said I haven't tried the vf3 to comment on that one.