VF2 or VF3???

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Jan 27, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yes, I've had both of these, and yes, I should be able to decide, but I just can't, and I want to get the rebate, so I need to order today.

I need a VF for my E-PL5 (with large grip) for when I shoot with the 100-300.

VF3: CHEAP! good enough for framing. Locks on. A bit smaller.
    VF2: Can better MF with legacy lenses (FD 50, Fujian, CV40 are my legacy lenses). But bigger, doesn't lock on, about $100 more.

Ugh! Which one??

Any help in the form of dope-slaps is greatly appreciated.

2. No question IMO... VF2 I use viewfinder a lot and I would rather have the better quality view.

I use a lenskeeper 2 to keep the VF2 tethered to the camera incase it gets knocked off. I'm actually quite surprised that Olympus hasn't updated the VF2 to include a lock.... its pretty fundamental problem AND they already solved it on a "cheaper" version.

3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    As per Ned, I chose the VF2. I believe Ned speaks highly of both models.

4. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    I bought the VF-3 for my E-PL5. But, now I wish I had the VF-2. At $250 for the VF-2, it was hard to justify buying an EVF for almost half of what the E-PL5 cost. But, now... :confused: 

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    The lack of a locking mechanism on my VF-2 has never bothered me. :smile:

6. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    This probably isn't much help but I decided on the VF-2 for my E-PL5 and ordered yesterday to make the rebate deadline as well. I based my decision on:
    VF-2
    PROS higher resolution, bigger view, supposedly better color quality, similar specs to OM-D VF, comes in black to match my camera
    CONS No Lock button, larger unit
    VF-3
    PROS smaller, lock button
    CONS - lower resolution/smaller view, silver

In the end the higher on-paper specs of the VF-2 won out, hopefully it fits my E-PL5 securely and the lack of lock button will be a non-issue.

7. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think I can still buy now (from Amazon) and get the rebate

8. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah you should be good as long as your Amazon invoice is marked with time of purchase 01.27.13 . I got my VF-2 there as well b/c black was sold out everywhere else.

9. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    OK. I got the VF2. Thanks for the kick in the pants to get me over the fence.

10. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Great, now you can join the "noseprint-on-my-LCD" crowd!

• Like Like x 1
  11. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    I got my VF-2 about a month ago and it is on there very securely. I would not be concerned because it doesn't lock. The VF-2 is not going to just fall off.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

12. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I was wondering about this. I (like many apparently) just picked up the vf-2 and although I haven't had a chance to take it "out" much yet, it seems like you really have to yank it to get it off.

13. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    But that's all LCD's are good for anyway! :biggrin:

14. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    I just got the VF-3 for my E-PL2, and wow, what a difference it makes in the overall shooting experience. It transforms your PEN into a serious picture-making machine. Better than my D5100 in that I have all my shooting info within the viewfinder (most appreciated is the live histogram), and better than the EVF on the Fuji X-E1 that I had tested in that the VF-3 has zero lag when panning.

The display is bright and crisp and I can now use the fly-by-wire manual focusing on my 20 1.7 much more easily and accurately.

VF-2 or VF-3, if you have a PEN and you are coming off a DSLR like I am, I highly recommend getting the EVF. :thumbup:

15. cprevost

cprevost Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    The viewfinder is one of those accessories like a tripod that you need when you need. It's made my ep3 infinitely more usable. Outdoors in bright light is no problem now and I like shooting with an eye level finder instead of Frankenstein arming it. It's a nice trick that you can remove the viewfinder any time you want and save the space. Wouldn't use a Pen without one.

16. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    According to the rumor site, the VF3 just saw a MAJOR price cut in Japan. Hopefully a similar huge cut will happen here in the US.

17. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am hoping they have a sale on the vf2s soon.. i need a 2nd VF in my camera bag.. currently have a vf3 and vf2 with 3 bodies! :) 

18. Gazman

Gazman New to Mu-43

Feb 23, 2013
  19. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I just got my VF-3 yesterday!

20. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge
    I use a piece of double sided to keep the vf2 in place. I use it all the time and imo it's a must have. I adore it!

That said I haven't tried the vf3 to comment on that one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.