1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

VF-4 viewfinder on e-m5?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Neftun, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Have anyone out there thought of mounting the vf4 viewfinder on the em5? Is it worth it, or does it look way too silly? Opinions, pics? Any response appreciated:)

2. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    A bit odd but...

The VF-4 appears to be much better than the built in viewfinder on the OMD and, if it would give the same resolution properties as on the E-P5, it could handy. I don't know if OMD firmware supports the VF-4 or not.

Before I would be looking to use the VF-4 on an OMD, I would be thinking seriously about upgrading to the E-P5. It has quite a few additional technologies that the older OMD lacks. One thing that the OMD has over the E-P5 is weather sealing. That is not important to me but it will be significant to some.

Dan

3. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I have given it some thought, and an upgrade to the ep5 is not for me. That camera only makes sense to me with the 17mm/vf4 kit, and that is 2000$ here in norway. May be worth it, but no. I love the design though, even better lookin than my ep1;)

If only one could easily upgrade the internal viewfinder on the em5. Nah, I think l'll see the next om-d before spending any more money.

4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
  5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  6. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    phigmov... ah yes, you are so right. I never remove the hotshoe cover on my E-M5 and had to check it to see! :smile:

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    The latest EM-5 firmware update supports the VF-4.

Personally, and YMMV, I think the EM-5 VF is just fine and would hate the added height and change in eye position of an external VF on the EM-5.

8. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I'm consistently gob-smacked by the amount of money people here throw into gear. So if the VF-4 works with the OM-D they had better rush out and get one. Otherwise they will have a hole in their kit!
    Just teasing! I'm not really bitter!

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I see your point.

10. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    The EVF on my OMD just conked out; maybe I should get a VF-4 instead of sending it in for (out of warranty) repair... ugh.

11. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    :biggrin: Humorous comment.

Not so funny about your EVF. Hopefully you have a second body you can promote to primary while the E-M5 is out for repairs?

12. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
  13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Before you send it in for repair, ask them if they can replace the internal viewfinder with the VF-4 guts. It's likely they'll say no but you never know unless you ask. Wouldn't that be a hoot if they could? I'd pay extra for that, wouldn't you?

14. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Oh sure...

Oh, I'm sure they will be all over that one saying "Of course we will update your tired old viewfinder to the newer VF-4 type display." :rofl::rofl::rofl:

"We'll get that done for you ASAP...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dan

15. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Considering Oly won't even add focus peaking to the EM5... I think I'll pass. :p

16. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I was using the VF-2 (flipped up) on my E-PL5 last night to get some "funky" shots in confined space (up against furniture). I'd guess 90% of what I was trying could still be done with the flip-up LCD, the other 10% maybe by moving the furniture. :)

17. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    VF-4 for an EM-5 is a gateway drug leading to an E-P5. C'mon. Admit it.

:grouphug:

18. Trinurse

Trinurse Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    I use my VF-3 on my OMD from time to time but it drains the already weak (OEM) batteries very quickly.

19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    And the point is ...?

(Is the VF-4 that much better that it will significantly improve your photography beyond the on-board VF?)

Gary

20. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I have come across user reports of the VF-4 that claimed it was as good as an optical viewfinder. So good in fact that focus peaking is not really needed for MF lenses. Certainly, got me intrigued.