VF-4 + FL-CB05 hot shoe cable?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by JCWOlson, Mar 12, 2014.

1. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    So I've spent hour after hour looking at dozens of different tripods, with generally the same problems - tall models are either unstable or expensive, and customer service/warranty in Canada sucks across the board.

Why not just get the external viewfinder, a hot shoe cable, and a shorter(thus less expensive) tripod?

Well, I don't have access to a store with both items. Has anybody else tried this?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

2. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    The external viewfinder uses another contact for communicating with the camera. The hot shoe is only used for mounting, so there is no way to use the viewfinder on the hot shoe extension. However, since the external viewfinder flips up, you can still use a shorter tripod and use the viewfinder flipped up while you look down.

3. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    What kind of connection does it use? Is it possible to manufacture an extension for that?

4. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    I do not know the exact details of the VF-4 but on my GX1 there is a flat multi pin connector right below the hot shoe, where the viewfinder connector mates. These connectors are proprietary types so I do not think there is a chance for you to get hold of a male and a female connector so that you can manufacture an extension cord.

5. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    You're right, chances are there's nothing currently available if it's a little used proprietary connection, but I used to be an electrician and you can work wonders with wire, moldable plastic, and epoxy. If there comes to be a demand for external screens that take advantage of this connection though, Olympus could profit - think of it as a wired, low-latency alternative to other companies using cell phones as second screens.

Edit, scratch that, bit more complicated than I thought.
    u6upypep.
    (Sorry, cellphone camera, I'm at work)

Still, I'd like to see a cable made.

6. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    There are references to the accessory port pin-out on the web but the pages seem to be down -

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/39307970

A few other people mention it might be possible to video-out to a small panel using the HDMI connector

7. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    The tripod / head combination that I have and recommended in your other thread (Feisol CT-3442 with Arca Monoball P0) will put the eyepiece of an E-M5 at 75 1/2" with the center column extended.
    When mounting the Monoball directly onto the tripod to make it more rigid (replacing the center column) the height gets reduced to 62".
    A flipped up VF-4 on top of the E-M5 would be sitting at 65" which is about 4" too high for me to be able to look down into it (I'm 6 foot tall).
    Rudy

8. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    You can get Live View on smartphone screen with WiFi enabled camera (and shoot from it too).

9. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    I did look into Feisol, but being in Canada, I'm leery of warranties - Feisol Canada hasn't updated their website or answered anything on Facebook in about two years... The one you suggested does look pretty good though, other than being 20cm shorter than the Induro of (currently) the same price. Though, Induro has yet to answer an email either. Or Gitzo.

EM5 isn't WiFi enabled, and the latency for live view on smart phones isn't as good as a wired solution would be.

10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Sorry, I didn't know what camera you have. Are you sure if VF4 will work on EM5?
    And what kind of shots are you after with the tripod?

11. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    Yeah, the EM5 is listed as compatible, and I noticed that the kit flash actually uses that slot (that's the picture I posted)
    For around two, two and a half months starting in May, I'll be doing pretty much everything - sailing, river trips, shooting, rock climbing, hiking, plays, etcetera, and making posters, pamphlets, and so on. Personally, I prefer doing landscape, but I'm also a people person, so I don't mind too much.
    My job the rest of the year is doing safety in the oil patch, so I get to take some decent shots in Northern Canada. No Aurora yet though.

12. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Ok, I see. It will be really hard to find full sized tripod that would fit along all those activities. May be forget about warranties and take a second look on that FEISOL - you can buy two those for Gitzo price.
    My choice for hiking is cheap Sprint Mini II - it weights nothing and I don't sweat to throw it in mud and sand.

13. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    Yeah, it's a pretty tall order for one tripod, and the kicker is that I'm 6'6, so short isn't an option.. Though really, weight isn't either. Size though, I'm going to be in South Africa for quite a while starting next year, and I don't want my tripod to be the only thing to fit in my bag!