VF-4 evf for $99

kwalsh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I actually think they are. error or no error. I know if you go in a store and if an item is priced wrong the store has to honor the price it is marked at.
I suggest calling the AG's office in your state to see if they have to honor the $99.
No they do not have to honor pricing errors. All they have to do is offer a prompt refund if they are unable to deliver for any reason. This is settled consumer protection law since 1975. Read the rules here:

http://www.business.ftc.gov/documents/bus02-business-guide-mail-and-telephone-order-merchandise-rule

The pricing error in store rule you are thinking of is for bricks and mortar stores that post one price on the shelves and then have it ring up at the register as a different price. But even then they have an out for prices so low they are considered and error.

The idea that when someone posts a price on the internet that they must deliver to everyone who clicked on it is a complete myth. Many companies do honor pricing mistakes just for good customer relations, but no law says they have to.

Aegon

Mu-43 Veteran
kwalsh, you are posting a single FTC rule without regard for state laws or the UTPA.

This is not legal advice. I am not your lawyer. If you want legal advice please hire yourself a lawyer.

First, the 30-day rule you linked to appears to cover a merchant's inability to ship an item. I do not believe this is at issue here because B&H is able to ship if they wanted to.

Second, just because this one FTC law did not create a cause of action for a buyer doesn't mean that other laws fail to offer remedies. Many states have adopted unfair/deceptive trade practices acts that offer relief in various ways that depend on the state laws and the facts at issue. If you want to know about your case in your jurisdiction, then hire yourself a lawyer.

I think it is dangerous to tell everybody here that they have no legal remedy when the truth can be different based on facts and circumstances not determined, the least of which is jurisdiction.

That said, I personally wouldn't be upset if B&H fails to honor any of these sales. What bothers me is public guessing about what the law is stated as firm conclusions.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm not aware anecdotally of any laws in the US (at the state level or otherwise) that would absolutely compel a retailer to honor an error such as the one made by B&H in this case. I'm not a lawyer though, so I accept that I may be very wrong here. My understanding is that cases can be made to compel a retailer to honor a price, but then we're talking legal proceedings of some kind, and spending money on said proceedings. Probably not worth it in most cases.

The exception is if the retailer was intentionally trying to deceive customers with the low price. Different can of worms there, but I don't think anyone is accusing B&H of that.

My bottom line is to give the retailer the benefit of the doubt if they have earned my trust. B&H certainly has.

kwalsh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ageon: agree with the specifics of your post. But a quick Google will show you no results in which anyone in the history of Internet selling has compelled a retailer to honor a pricing error. And further many articles from consumer advocacy groups, some of which refer to the exact FTC rule, explaining with quotes from lawyers that you really have no recourse in a situation as such this.

So no, not a lawyer, but when articles written by lawyers all across the web say merchants don't have to honor pricing errors and refer to this FTC rule then I don't feel too bad summarizing them to contradict yet another senseless "talk to your AG" post about pricing errors.

Theo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Theo K.
$99 for a new VF4 without needing to bundle anything is not an impossible offer. I've seen it once in September from getOlympus site. I promptly ordered and received within a week.

MarkRyan

Instagram: @MRSallee
Mine's changed to "On order" as well.

I don't remember exactly, but I thought "On order" is what my status said before it changed to "New order processing." So we're back to where we were?

Real Name
Brian Taylor
As of a few moments ago, my order status is still "In stock, order sent to warehouse", but the VF-4 is now showing as in stock for new orders. I guess we'll all find out by Monday whether we'll get the ones we ordered for $99.99.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom