1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

VF-3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by wreckless, Oct 30, 2012.

1. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Mike
    From personal experience: can anyone tell me if the VF-3 works on the GX1 (or any other Panasonic) body? I have a E-PL1 that I'd like [need] an EVF for and if I pick up a GX1 sometime down the road I'd like to know if I can use it for that as well.

Thanks!

2. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    No you can't Oly and Pany use different accessory port as a result their EVF is not compatible.
    You can only use GX-1 with LVF-2 from Panasonic.

3. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Mike
    Bummer.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    kThe Oly VF-2 works on any Olympus m4/3 body except one (rhe E-P1), and even works on Leica bodies (and vice versa, the Leica EVF will work on Oly bodies - but why would you want to pay that much more for the same thing with Leica written on it?). The Panny LVF-2 on the other hand, works on one body only - the GX-1. I'm glad Olympus got it right from the get.

• Like Like x 1
  5. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Mike
    Ned, I noticed you neglected to mention the VF-3 anywhere in your reply. :thumbup: Very creative approach.

However I do find it interesting from your information you've provided than it is Olympus who's viewfinder is compatible with the Lecia cameras and visa verse, considering Panasonic has the closer working relationship with the aforementioned high-end camera company. So you have in fact tried putting a VF-2 on a GX1 then? And no joy, eh? hmmm. :rolleyes:

If not "from personal experience" (see first post in thread), then where do you get your information? This is what I'm asking: Has anyone actually TRIED this combination, or are you all too scared? :wink:

6. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Mike
    I noticed you don't mention your GX1 in your signature along with the rest of your Oly equipment, strange. Or do you have a friend with a GX1? :confused:

YOUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE was the key parameter of my query. Oly fan-boys who have NO current/relevant experience with Panasonic products need not reply. Thank you anyway.

7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I have both and they are not interchangeable. The mount is different. Ned is 100% correct.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    There's no standard for EVF connectors. Sony's doesn't work on Olympus or anybody else, Panasonic's doesn't work on anybody else's either. The only reason why Olympuses work on Leica is that Leica apparently didn't want to spend the money to develop their own so they rebadged an existing part. As to why they went with the Olympus part over the Panasonic, I expect it had everything to do with cost and availability. The VF2 has been around for a while and is in good supply. The LVF2 is not.

• Like Like x 1
  9. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    No I don't have GX-1 but I for "a brief moment" have and use GF-1 along with LVF-1 so I know that LVF-1 not working with Oly and the new LVF-2 only compatible with GX-1. And you do notice I use Lumix 20 and 14 in my signature don't you and that's my friend also Panasonic product.

• Like Like x 1