VF-3 Oh dear

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Kiwi Paul, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I bought a VF-3 and it arrived today, oh dear what a let down.
    It brings back memories of the tunnel VF of the E520 and has about the same viewing size too Terrible resolution and poor contrast, in all pretty much a waste of money for me. I even have a sore eye presumably eyestrain from squinting through the peephole.

I'm going to ring SRS tomorrow and see if I can return it and exchange it for the VF-2 which I hope and reportedly has the same viewing size and quality of the excellent G3 EVF.

My advice, stay away from the VF-3, pay the extra and get a decent VF-2 EVF.

If it was cheap and something you only intended to use on occasions when the screen wasn't suitable then fair enough, but it's only £30 less than the VF-2!! What's the deal Oly???????

Rant over

2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Hi Paul, that was my experience too, when I compared these finders side by side at a recent E-System Group meet. When I'm in a position to buy I will definitely get the VF-2, the difference is like night and day.

My local shop, Cameraworld, is selling both at the same price, £179.
  3. muzee

muzee Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2011
    Same here: I bought it and returned it in less than a week - didn't find any real advantage for using it. I was hoping it would've helped with manual focusing, but it's no different from the LCD.

And oh, it's a real pain to switch between the EVF and LCD to review your shot - I was expecting that the LCD would display the image automatically for review, but no, you have to manually switch back.
  4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    If only the Vf2 had the lock..
  5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    It's an easy fix, put a piece of tape on the bottom of the vf-2 where it mates with the hotshot. I know it's a pain, but not as much as using the vf-3 it's only good thing is the lock. Oh and they all aren't loose, mine has never come off on it's own, so maybe it's actually the hotshot that loose not the vf-2.