VF-3 In Stock at Olympus Store

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by kbr, Aug 5, 2011.

1. kbr

kbr New to Mu-43

Jun 22, 2011
    I'm surprised nobody posted this yet...

VF-3 is finally here!

Now who's going to buy it and provide a review?

2. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Coupon code reg8855 still works! $18 off.

No, I didn't buy it :biggrin:

3. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    I hope the 45 becomes available soon .

• Like Like x 1
  4. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Anyone received one yet?

5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Only in silver though. $179. I was hoping the price $149 mentioned on their facebook page will hold up. Maybe through other retailers. I still think for MF (7-14x magnifucation), VF-2 should be more approrite with much higher resolution.
    Can we expect 45mm to appear any day now? Let's keep our fingers crossed. I would not be surprised if it turns out to be the most sold Oly lens to date.

6. mambastik

mambastik Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    I believe someone here emailed Olympus regarding a black colored VF3, but said that for now only the silver will be available and will be out around September.

Info is here and there. Some say it's $150 but website says $180. Press releases show 0.97x magnification, but website says 1.00x. I guess we'll have to wait till it's actually here to find the final specs and pricing.

7. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Olympus MAP for the VF-3 is $179.99. I'll probably pick one up soon after I know that the firmware upgrade works on the E-P2. I usually wait for someone else to try it first...

8. kbr

kbr New to Mu-43

Jun 22, 2011
    I bit the bullet and bought one. Received it today in the mail. Haven't really had much time to play around with it, but here are my initial impressions... (take anything I say with a grain of salt since, I'm brand new to MFTs and this is the first MFT viewfinder I've ever handled)

Build quality is decent but not spectacular. It's plasticky and very light, but buttons, dial, and rotation of the eyepiece feel well put together. It fits snugly in the accessory port. If the VF-2 fit is the same, then I understand why Olympus initially omitted the lock/release button. I can't imagine it accidentally falling out, but I suppose it might loosen up with use.

Viewfinder image quality is excellent. It's bright, clear, and shows all the information that you'd see on the LCD screen. It's almost everything I imagined it would be.

But here's the downside... physically, I feel like it's awkward to use. The viewfinder window itself is tiny. It could be that I'm just accustomed to larger windows like on my 7D or film cameras, but I feel like I'm looking through a door peep. A door peep with a very nice display, but a door peep nonetheless. I imagine that an eyecup attachment like what's available for the VF-2 would help out immensely.

That's it for now. I might have more to add tomorrow when I get outside to test it out.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    Singapore
    Thanks for the write up.

Have you tried to use it in a low light situation, how does it perform?

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Just don't expect it to be a cheap VF-2 without a hit somewhere....

11. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    well the VF3 is supposed to be 1.00x magnification, while the VF2 is 1.05x. Not an enormous difference.

Has anyone used them side by side?

Edit: brainfail. The VF-2 is 1.15x magnification.

12. kbr

kbr New to Mu-43

Jun 22, 2011
    Yotsuba - Honestly, it looks almost exactly like the LCD. Brightness is the same as the LCD. And to my untrained eye, the resolution is more than adequate for fine manual focusing.

Only real difference is that you can detect the screen refreshing. But I think the refresh rate is the same on the VF-2, so I wouldn't consider that a drop in performance.

Is there some particular aspect of low light use that you're concerned about?

13. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Nice to get some feeling for what the VF3 is like, will need to hunt one down and try it when they come out in the UK

14. mambastik

mambastik Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Mostly likely how is the gain during low light? I enjoy taking pictures at night, but it's almost impossible to fine manual focus at night because of so much noise on the LCD. Just wondering how the VF3's gain is compared to the LCD's.

15. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    VF3 seems to be in stock in the UK now at SRS Microsystems

16. jlpk007

jlpk007 New to Mu-43

Jul 30, 2011
    Any US site selling it? Both b&h n adorama still showing no stock yet:(

17. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Not seen any yet, think I'm ordering the VF2 today...

18. kbr

kbr New to Mu-43

Jun 22, 2011
    Olympus store has it in stock. www.buyolympus.com

There is a bit of gain. In low light, the VF brightness would be similar to increasing the LCD brightness 1 or 2 notches. Seems that MF in low light using the LCD isn't that spectacular either, so using the VF just makes it worse. Then again, I've never used the VF-2, so not sure if that's any better.