VF-2--yes or no?

BAKatz

Mu-43 Veteran
is the VF2 really necessary especially at its cost? I am willing to spring if it really makes a difference,i haven't had that much trouble just using the screen, but then most of my shots so far have been indoors .

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
He's got the E-PL1 and the answer is YES. However, if you're OK without it, there's no rush. Take some time and perhaps you'll have the opportunity to see one in real life sometime and be able to decide after you've seen what the little jewel offers.

Seriously, I love mine and really would be lost without it. That said I know there are others who are fine without one. Different needs for different people. Here is are a couple of good threads for you: https://www.mu-43.com/f42/viewfinder-e-vf2-e-pl1-essential-option-3010/ and https://www.mu-43.com/f42/electronic-viewfinder-worth-3937/ this second one also gives a hyperlink to a third one. Take a read through and see what you think, Bennett.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
well...

If you plan to use MF lenses then I would say that it is an absolute necessity. If you are using AF lenses then I would say not so much. I just got one and it hasn't come off of my camera since I got it (despite being pretty dorky looking).

Kevin

naturecloseups

Mu-43 Regular
I lived without the VF-2 for too long (because of it being unavailable). Now that I have one, even for legacy manual focus lenses (which are all I use anyway) I prefer the LCD to the EVF for all tripod-mounted shots.

For handheld -- however -- I would think you'll find the VF-2 a necessity.

StephenL

Mu-43 Regular
I've never used my Pen 2 without it. It's invaluable for me as a spectacle wearer.

isabel95

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Mine just arrived this afternoon...

and the visual quality is excellent. I'm really glad I bought it. Great for shooting macros outdoors, and for outdoor shooting in general.

One of the biggest beefs I've had with my digicams without viewfinders is the great difficulty of seeing what I want to shoot on the lcds.

The PEN e-PL1 isn't as bad for viewing as some others I've had, but the VF-2 is going to make shooting outside a lot more pleasant.

Isabel

is the VF2 really necessary especially at its cost? I am willing to spring if it really makes a difference,i haven't had that much trouble just using the screen, but then most of my shots so far have been indoors .

Andrew Riddell

Mu-43 Regular
I wouldn't have bought my EP-2 without it. I find it essential for stability when using FT lenses and also with the Pany 7-14. Maybe it's just my age!

However, I'd really like the EP-9 large eye-cup for the VF-2, but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK yet!

Andrew

BAKatz

Mu-43 Veteran
re:my post

thanks everybody...i guess its more important to learn the camera first, and worry about the viewfinder later. (x-mas)?

DDG

Mu-43 Regular
Andrew, are you saying that the EP-9 eyecup would fit the VF-2?

Is there any other rubber eyecup that would fit the VF-2?

Isabel

Apparently, the EP-9 is a dedicated accessory for the VF-2.

burro39

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Paul
I live in an altitude of 7000 ft and the air is quite clear and the sun very bright. It is almost necessary here. I don't know if this is a factor but it sure helps to have that viewfinder.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
If you continue to shoot mostly indoors (and I presume are NOT using long telephotos), I'd say there's no need for it. And for some outdoor shooting, there's very little need for it as well - I do a lot of street shooting where I don't raise the camera anywhere near my eye, for example, and I just use the LCD or my instincts no matter how bright it is out. When I really need it is when I'm out with something like the 14-150 on a really bright day and I just can't see the LCD well enough to frame the shot and the extra stability of a 'face-anchor' really helps when I'm out near the long end of the lens.

If I was gonna stick it on the camera and never take it off, I'd have gotten a GH1 or G2 or something because it really does add to the bulk of the camera and if it was there ALL the time, I'd worry about damaging it or knocking it off and its harder to put into a case and get it out with the evf mounted. Overall, I'd say I end up using it no more than 20-25% of the time, but I find it really essential for those times. But if you haven't run into them yet, you don't need it. Once you feel you need it because you've run into a situation where shooting without it is difficult or impossible, THEN you need it!

-Ray

shinobi

Mu-43 Regular
:biggrin:Just buy it if you can afford it ... just allowing you to see well under bright sun is good enough reason, IMHO. That is, if you ever go out of course

Yalcrab

New to Mu-43
VF-2 Rules

I have the EPL1, the VF2 and i personally think it is brilliant.

Cost, well they can charge £40-70 for flash extension cables so £200 for the VF2 is about right i suppose.

Is it worth £200 :eek:, NO WAY but we are a captive audience and they know how to charge the earth for accessories. I mean it was £40 for a simple remote cord for Oly43, ebay china was about £7, that's life.

But I still got one, it is great for low level shots a few inches of the ground just flip up, really bright sunlight and it makes using the camera body just like an DSLR, don't need one in doors though.

Cheers Ken

chylld

Mu-43 Regular
I love mine, but only because I have an MF lens. If all your lenses are AF, I'd say don't bother :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom