VF-2 - what are the greatest advantages of having a viewfinder?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by mesmerized, Jul 12, 2013.

1. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012

For many of you this might be a silly question but... what are they biggest advantages of having a viewfinder? ;)

2. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    first and foremost makes you grab the camera and bring it to your eye, and just by creating that posture of putting your elbows to your body will give you better stabilization in low light or when shooting with a telephoto lens.

now for me personally. gives me a little "privacy" when composing my shots without having the rest of the crowd sneeking into what im doing. but thats personal.
  3. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    With bright sunlight the LCD can be very difficult to see also I would add that a viewfinder basically removes everything outside of the frame whereas framing with the LCD your peripheral vision might keep you from seeing the image
  4. Johnny_Alucard

Johnny_Alucard Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 28, 2013
    I find I 'get into the shot' more with when shooting with an EVF. Also, my framing is often off when I use the screen - I find I nail composition far more often when using the EVF.
  5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    I've reached the age of using reading glasses for close up things. I need to hold the screen too far from my face to see the small details without the glasses. If I have the glasses on I can't see distant things clearly. With the view finder I can adjust the diopter correction and see both the viewfinder and my surroundings - including my subject.

6. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Patrick Kristiansen
    In my opinion a camera without a viewfinder is like a car without a steering wheel. Or rather driving a car using the live feed from a parkingcam instead of looking out the windscreen.

With only a lcd for framing, the image being used is 3" in diameter an armlength away, hardly anything at all relative to your total vision. With a viewfinder, the image takes up as much of your vision as possible, immersing you in the framing. It is like watching a movie on a smartphone compared to in a THX theater.
  7. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I had an EP-1 and an EP-2 and sold both because no viewfinder. Time passed and I bought an EPL-5 and a VF-3. The funniest thing happened, I took the camera on a trip to Ireland and found myself using the viewfinder maybe 1% of the time. Now, if it was built in rather than something I had to remove from a bag and install, who knows how much I might have relied on it. But I also may have evolved on the viewfinder issue. At least with the EPL-5.
  8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia

The only thing I would add is that the total exclusion of everything outside the frame lets me pay more attention to just what is in the frame because I can't be distracted by what's outside the frame. Of course some day I may get run over by a truck because of that but until then eliminating distractions is a big plus to me.
  9. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Yes I felt like I am shooting naked yesterday when I was shooting with the E-PM2 indoors :wink:

I am now considering getting even just a VF-3.
  10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    For me, two reasons.

1. No problems in bright sunlight
    2. Better stability with the camera braced against my forehead.

Oh, I forgot:

3. Habit :biggrin:
  11. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Yes that too, I've lost count how many times I've tried to put the E-PM2 on my face already :biggrin:
  12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It all depends on how you use your camera, but for me it's clearer detail for focusing. Because I use a lot of manual focus. Second is the blocking of extraneous light if shooting outdoors.
  13. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'm no longer a MF person :frown: but if I were, that would be another reason to prefer an EVF. I also assume, but I've never tried it, that higher resolution makes for much better MF? So in the Oly world, a VF4 would be the best for MF, followed by the VF2 then the VF3? I used to have a Panasonic LVF1 and while it was very useful for general photography the resolution was pretty low and I don't think it would have been a very good MF tool.
  14. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    With my failing eyesight it actually lets me see what I'm doing since when I hold the LCD far away enough to focus on it everything gets too small to see. The second feature I find incredibly important is the flip up ability that easily allows for shooting from a different perspective.
  15. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    I have been using the VF-2 on my EPL-2 for about 2.5 years. It never leaves the camera, but with that said, I use it about 50% of the time.

My main reason for having it: bright sunlight on the LCD, it is a wash most of the time.

16. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    I find that there are a few advantages:

1. Makes your camera much more usable in bright sunlight (huge problem, especially with older cameras).

2. Helps you nail focus, both for adapted/manual focus lenses and for native/autofocus ones. I can't tell you how many times I've gone home to find out that I missed focus on some of my favourite pictures.

3. Extra stability from holding the camera to your face is always helpful.

4. Probably, the most significant, is how it makes you feel and therefore how your subjects react to you. I find people are much more relaxed, when using rear LCD vs. sticking the camera to your face. I also noticed that I take different pictures with both rear LCD and VF, neither one better than the other, just both different.
  17. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Yes I totally agree with this statement... but I think mine is bad when I don't use the VF, ends up not level and what not.
  18. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Yeah, I notice that too with small mistakes in framing and sometimes even wrong focus (especially if the 2 objects are close). Nothing beats an eye level viewfinder for precision.
  19. PENasonic

PENasonic Mu-43 Regular

I agree with all points. However, the VF2 price ($160) have almost stayed the same and older mu43 cameras value have dropped dramatically. With the same price, I got a decent G1 with built in EVF (plus a 14-42 lens). Now it compliments with my trusty EPL1. I use the G1 with my legacy lenses. I tried using the Pen with the lumix lens and the G1 with the Oly lens I think they give me better results. Has anyone tried this and noticed the same?
  20. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Essential when shooting hand held using telephoto lenses. Essential for middle aged and older people as they can no longer see up close. Essential for shooting action shots.