VF-2 vs. LVF1 (vs. VF-3)

everythingsablur

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi all,

I've had a GF1 for the last couple of years, as well as the LVF1 which I use for stability and framing on sunny days. The quality is well noted to be "not great", but it's sufficient for framing and exposure. I've lived with it just fine, though the LCD is of higher resolution when that is preferable.

So my near pristine E-P3 arrived yesterday as well as a simultaneously sourced VF-2 to use along with it. The screen on the E-P3 is really quite gorgeous, but I know like all LCDs (OLED or not, even Super AMOLED+) isn't perfect in bright daylight. I popped the VF-2 on and... I hate to admit but I'm mildly underwhelmed.

Is it bigger? Yes.
Is it brighter? Yes.
Is it clearer? I guess so.

And... ? :confused:

With all the praise and hype, I'm not sure if my expectations were just too high to begin with.

I will use it some more over the coming days and in more situations that just my somewhat dim dining room last night, but if there really isn't a monumental difference in my eyes/mind, maybe I'll move "down" to the VF-3 for the smaller size and locking ability. Won't match the black E-P3, but neither do all the silvery lenses that are coming out.

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I swapped my GF1+LVF1 for the GX1+LVF2 in Jan and it is a superb combination, the LVF2 is as good as the EVF on the G3 and is bright, very clear and to date has not sufferred from image blur when panning etc so very happy.

It was an essential tool for my photo taking during a recent trip to India where we had bright sunny days every day and LCD was almost unuseable.

everythingsablur

Mu-43 Veteran
I swapped my GF1+LVF1 for the GX1+LVF2 in Jan and it is a superb combination, the LVF2 is as good as the EVF on the G3 and is bright, very clear and to date has not sufferred from image blur when panning etc so very happy.

It was an essential tool for my photo taking during a recent trip to India where we had bright sunny days every day and LCD was almost unuseable.

How does the LVF2 stack up to the VF-2? I can't recall the G3 EVF since I only tried it in store for a few minutes seemingly eons ago.

Not that it's a deciding factor in switching bodies back to Panny or anything, as I did want IBIS, wireless flash support, and consistent batteries throughout the line (if I were to replace my GF1 with a PEN as a secondary body for the wife).

Latest threads

Top Bottom